cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to get a filter lens for a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lll

grmils
Apprentice

Hi, I’m new to photography and I’m wondering which filter I should buy and where from? I have looked on canon’s website but I noticed that they are expensive, so I was wondering if anyone had a more budget friendly option while still being good quality?

15 REPLIES 15

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
When you say "filter lens" do you mean a protection / UV filter, or an optic you put in front of your 18-55 lens for macro or other applications?  That is, what you do you want the filter to do?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

A protection filter

Thanks for that clarification.
Well, it's a cost/risk situation. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lll is a basic kit lens, and relatively cheap (no offense intended), so the question of the viability of a protection filter comes down to the cost.
There is no point in putting a crappy piece of glass in front of any lens, so a really, really cheap filter is problematic from an optical point of view.  However, the more you invest the more it might be worth in excess of the lens.

So, the question is what is the risk. If you shoot under very controlled conditions, probably not worth the investment, but if you are shooting in areas that are dusty, salt air (near a coast) then the risk rises.

A filter will be good for environmental protection such as above, but not so much from impact.  For that, go to eBay or Amazon and find a third-party lens hood for YOUR EXACT MODEL - the one required varies with the model and there are several 18-55 lenses out there.  The benefit of the hood is that it will also reduce the chances of flare of light across your lens.

However, if you do want a filter, you might find the following article interesting, particularly the section on best filters under $50. The Best Protection Filters for Lenses in 2023 | PetaPixel

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Recommend a good quality clear filter.  Again, don't skimp on quality.  That last thing you want is to put a poor quality optic in front of all that nice Canon glass.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For an inexpensive, easily replaceable lens like the 18-55 I would not worry about it. Just make sure to use the lens cap. Front elements can take a lot of abuse before it is even noticeable in photographs.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

For filters, do remember that Canon has some very high quality glass in their lenses; especially in their L-series.  Thus, don't add on a low quality filter that would lead to poor image quality.

Additionally, for whatever filter you'll be getting (assuming these are the screw-on circular ones), look for filters where its thread will be a different material than what your lens threads would be.  While it's still possible to end up in situations where you will struggle to unscrew the filter, it's more difficult to get into that situation when the materials are different.  I personally use B+W brand filters which are made of brass.  These pair well with with plastic or aluminum filter threads.

If you're speaking to ND (neutral density filters), again, don't skimp on cost.  Cheap ones can end up shifting color a bit.  Good ones, as their name implies, are very neutral (in my own measurements of B+W filters, I only found their 6-stop and 10-stop filters adjusting color by 50º K.

In terms of CP (circular polarizer filters), I prefer high-transmission varieties.  At its weakest, it will block 1 stop of light and at its strongest, 1.5 stops.  Thus, only a half-stop difference between its extremes.  Cheaper versions typically have a wider range.

--
Ricky

zakslm
Enthusiast

I'm not sure about the filter size, but if your lens is like other variation of the EF-S 18-55mm lens (mine is an EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS II) it takes a 58mm filter.

I use UV multicoated filters on all of my lenses for protection.  I purchased some Waka UV multicoated filters (made in Japan) from Amazon for some of my lenses for about $10 each.  I think the Waka filters are a good value and they do not appear to degrade the image in any discernable way.  

In any case, the 18-55 kit lens isn't Canon's best and sharpest lens or most expensive lens, so using a "pretty good" multicoated filter for protection probably makes more sense that buying a premium UV multicoated filter from Hoya HMC, B+W or other premium brand listed in the article linked to Trevor's response.  The cost of a new premium brand UV filter probably exceeds the replacement value of your lens. 

As Trevor also said, "go to eBay or Amazon and find a third-party lens hood for YOUR EXACT MODEL".  I also use hoods on all my lenses.  The 18-55 is a bit problematic because the front of the lens (that the hood bayonets on to) rotates when focusing so a petal shaped hood will rotate and may cause vignetting.  Look for a round hood instead.  I use a Fotodiox C-EW-60C plastic hood, also purchased from Amazon.

In addition to the Waka filters, I also have Hoya HMC and B+W UV filters on a some lenses that I bought used from KEH when I purchased those lenses (also purchased used from KEH).  Those filters cost about the same as the new Waka filters cost at Amazon.  That said, if I could purchase a used Hoya HMC, B+W or other premium brand  multicoatred filter in "Excellent" condition for the same all in price as a new Waka filter from Amazon, I will choose the used premium brand filter every time.

Good luck!

Note that you're not gaining anything by using UV filters.  Long ago, they were more useful.  For basic protection, a clear filter will be a-ok.

--
Ricky

normadel
Authority
Authority

Go to B&H Photo's website. Look for 58mm. UV or clear protective filters. You'll find a variety ranging from $8.99 up to $50.00-plus. You don't need to get an expensive one for your 18-55 lens. 

Despite what another reply said, either a UV filter or a clear protective filter is fine. A UV filter IS clear. There are filters that say "UV/Protective filter" for that reason.

Announcements