cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What USB cable does the Canon Eos R10 use?

Natechenry
Enthusiast

71CE30AF-4664-48E6-A40E-234D7B41FE4A.jpeg

 im not good at understanding the difference cables because normally when i purchase something like this they already come with the correct cables but the eos r10 does not. What USB should i purchase? I don’t know what this is.

17 REPLIES 17

I am still in mess because of this type C on both ends... I both a connector from Amazon and after connecting it doesn't show any connections.! What should I do now wifi transfer takes too much time and sometimes breaks. Do I have to buy another cable now?

Thank you for the advice on the adapter! Definitely will add to my list to get eventually. Just got into photography / videography and its a lot to learn and appears to be an endless learning experience which is fun! So usb 3.2 for faster transfer? I had heard and seen people say to plug in to such ports and was wondering what difference a 3.0 port made to say a usb 1.0 

Whether you get an adapter+cable or stick with cables only as Waddizzle recommended, it pays to understand USB 3.x. The graphic above and to the right of the USB4 heading on the page I linked shows a summary of the changes in the USB specification over the past 26 years. You can see that USB 1.0 has a max transfer rate of 12 MB/s, while the newest versions of the 3.2 spec support up to 20 GB/s. 

You should also know that data transfer speeds will be limited by the slowest piece of equipment you connect. In your case, it sounds like your laptop USB port will be the limiting factor. Depending on the amount of data you want to transfer, you may find that your data transfer rates are fast enough for you. 

Makes perfect sense. As others uave pointed out im probably just gonna stick with using cables without adapters especially with a laptop that has a regular usb port. May give adapters a go but i feel like using just a cable is playing it safe

@Natechenry wrote:

Makes perfect sense. As others uave pointed out im probably just gonna stick with using cables without adapters especially with a laptop that has a regular usb port. May give adapters a go but i feel like using just a cable is playing it safe

Sorry if I misunderstood. I was under the impression that your computer was USB type A. That is why I thought an adapter was a good idea. If your computer IS type C, then yes, you should buy just a USB type C cable, so there is no reason for an adapter.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Well what if my laptop has a USB Type A port and the other end has a Type C for my eos r10? Wouldn’t that work without needing a adapter?

@Natechenry wrote:

Well what if my laptop has a USB Type A port and the other end has a Type C for my eos r10? Wouldn’t that work without needing an adapter?

If you buy a USB cable that has type A on one end (computer) and type C on the other (camera), then no adapter is needed. I think the thread got over complicated.

I believe the adapter talk came into play as a result of the suggestion that you just buy a USB type C cable (type C connectors on both ends) and adapt it to the type A on the computer.

Personally, I would just buy a type C to type A cable and be done with it. All of the USB protocols mentioned are well and fine, but it's not going to make much difference in the long run, especially when USB C is involved. Your cable with USB C on one end should be compliant with current  protocols.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

normadel
Authority
Authority

USB cables are not expensive things. Get cables with the connectors you need. Avoid adapters. Simple.

Announcements