cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What USB cable does the Canon Eos R10 use?

Natechenry
Enthusiast

71CE30AF-4664-48E6-A40E-234D7B41FE4A.jpeg

 im not good at understanding the difference cables because normally when i purchase something like this they already come with the correct cables but the eos r10 does not. What USB should i purchase? I don’t know what this is.

17 REPLIES 17

Canon's info on the R10 says it's USB type C, which is what most new devices, like smart phones, tablets, etc, are now using.

Now what you need to figure out is what USB connection your computer or tablet has. If it's an older system, it is probably USB type A, If that is the case, you will need to get a "Data" cable that has type C (for your camera) on one end, and type A on the computer end. If you have a newer system it may have USB type C, so it's type C on both ends. Just make sure it is a Data cable and not one for just charging.

Let us know what your system is, and someone will get you squared away and possible post a link to the proper cable. It is a shame that these cameras don't come with a cable.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks Newton! I was also wondering about the computer situation. If its a Type A port for laptop then id probably need a Type C To Type A then? Other thing, would you happen to know if i got a camlink to use OBS on my laptop to record videos if i could use a Micro Hdmi to HDMI? Would that work? Idk ic camlink’s are compatible with older models or it doesn’t matter how new or old. 

Yes, a type C to type A would be what you need. Since I don't do video, the Cam Link is an unknown for me. But looking at it on Amazon, it looks like what you could use, and yes, the micro HDMI to regular HDMI cable is what you would need. I do use OBS for screen capturing demos, and just messing with it, it looks pretty strong. So the Cam Link should work with OBS. One thing I don't know is if the R10 has clean HDMI out, which would allow you to get rid of screen info and the focus box. I suspect it does, but that may be something you will want to check on and figure out how to implement it.

I've been thinking about buying a capture card for my laptop, but just haven't started researching it. The Cam Link looks promising.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Yep the R10 does indeed have clean output. It also had direct streaming but i prefer to play it safe by a capture card and especially over Canon Utility considering the quality is better via camlink. Thank you for the help! 

You are very welcome. And thank you for turning me on to the Cam Link! 🙂

yes this is information is right.

@Natechenry I want to comment specifically on your USB cable question. It is possible to buy an adapter so that you can connect a male type C end to a female type A port on your laptop. This link will show you a typical adapter like I'm describing. You don't have to buy the one I linked, but I recommend that you use an adapter or cable that meets at least the USB 3.2 spec as it will have faster data transfer speeds than the 3.1 spec.

The benefit to using an adapter is that your next laptop or desktop may not have a USB type A connection and you will be able to keep the same cable. You also may have the necessary cable already.

That's a really good idea. Although my system has all type C thunderbolt, I still need the adapters for all kinds of legacy stuff.

Adapters are inadvisable.  Canon camera bodies tend to not like them.  We have had multiple posts from members who cannot get their USB connection to work with a Mac.  Once they got rid of the adapter, everything worked just fine.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements