cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmitter/receiver needed for Speedlite EL-100 and EOS 250D

bbenbbird4217
Apprentice

I have an eos 250d and a EL 100 Speedlite and I need to buy a transmitter/receiver for it. I have no clue what to buy so any help would be appreciated
to do off camera flash and triggering the camera remotely

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Godox transmitter is a 3rd Party item it WILL NOT WORK because your camera lacks the center pin on the hot shoe. The Canon 600EX-RT can be used as an Optical Sender or Receiver just like the EL-100 can. Canon's speedlites and transmitters don't require the center pin. ONLY 3rd Party gear requires. If you try to use a 3rd Party speedlite ONLY the E-TTL metering pre-flash will fire. The main flash WILL NOT FIRE at all. E-TTL consists of 2 flashes but it looks like 1. The flash will fire a weak flash before the exposure is made. The camera then takes that reading and compares it to no flash. That combo is what causes the camera to adjust the output of the flash. So you can ONLY use Canon gear there is NO way around this limitation. Other than replacing your camera with higher-end model that has the center contact. 

d8AAQ.png

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Yes that is true. In optical wireless the sender (formally master) speedlite has to fire so the receiver (formerly slave) speedlite can fire. If it is set not to fire it will fire before the shutter is open and it won't contribute to the flash exposure. You also meant the Flash Functions Menu and NOT the Speedlite Control Menu. Note rear curtain sync DOES NOT work with optical wireless. 

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Announcements