cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ND Mounts

jmahoney
Contributor

Can anyone recommend a ND mount that easily/quickly mounts on any lens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

For EF, the most popular are the Canon Adapter or the Meike adapter. 

Canon:    (recommended) 

Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with Drop-In Variable ND Filter A (canon.com)

Meike:

The Meike has gained popularity due to its price, and because it comes with a clear drop in filter.  One thing users have pointed out is that its dial does not have clicks, so you cannot tell how many stops you are actually applying. 

shadowsports_0-1687788780495.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

For EF, the most popular are the Canon Adapter or the Meike adapter. 

Canon:    (recommended) 

Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with Drop-In Variable ND Filter A (canon.com)

Meike:

The Meike has gained popularity due to its price, and because it comes with a clear drop in filter.  One thing users have pointed out is that its dial does not have clicks, so you cannot tell how many stops you are actually applying. 

shadowsports_0-1687788780495.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jmahoney
Contributor

Thank you.

Adapters will be good if you're using EF lenses on RF bodies.  But you didn't say what lenses or cameras you're using.

If you want something that works on "any lens", then you need something that goes on the front of the lens.  I use, and like, the Freewell systems; the filters snap on magnetically, and it's very easy.

Their variable ND system is good, but it's wider than the lens -- so no lens hood -- and it has 2 parts, which can be a little fiddly to apply.

I decided that having ND work in steps is fine for me, so now I use the Freewell fixed-ND system.  I only have a fixed set of NDs to choose from, but the filter just pops on to the lens in an instant.  And my lens hoods store and use as normal now.

The downside is that you need filters and a base ring for each filter thread size you have; or use step-up rings.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements