cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Filter Suggestions for 75-300mm, EOS Rebel T7

Canonbassist909
Enthusiast

hey everyone ! I hope you are all doin well out there in the world today 

wanted to pick your brains if I may for some suggestions on filters/brands that I can use for sharper and defined images for my canon t7, or do you have suggested settings that I can program my camera to... 

cheers all !! 

Alexander 

16 REPLIES 16

rs-eos
Elite

You're going to have to better describe what it is you're asking.  The subject title is "Lens Filters", but you want "sharper and defined images".  And your last sentence is cut off.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Canonbassist909
Enthusiast

sentence is indeed complete in regards to asking what settings cant I put to my t7 for the best image quality and definition, I have also been seeing filters that are attached to the end of the lens.. trying to find out what would be the best .. my primary use for this camera is for military airshows .. the lens I am using is the 75-300

Not going to suggest any settings, aside from perhaps using shutter priority mode for the air shows.

I would suggest a circular polarizer filter to help the planes pop more.

Your last sentence was "settings that I can program my camera to... ".   Program your camera to what, exactly?

Lens filters can be very useful.  I personally use three types:

• Clear, as added protection to the front element.
  • ND (Neutral density) to allow me to have wide apertures out in very bright conditions (where you are either beyond the fastest shutter or want to have a slower shutter).   Also useful to keep flashes out of High Speed Sync territory.
  • CP (Circular polarizer) which depending upon the outdoor conditions, and angle of the sun relative to your camera's direction, can make skies darker blue.  Also reduces glare on foliage and reflections in surfaces (e.g. surface of water).

If looking at filters, do avoid very cheap ones.  The last thing you want to do is add an inferior piece of glass on your lens that could degrade image quality.  I personally use B+W filters.  Can be very costly, but I've never had any issues in degraded quality.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

forgive me for not being as specific , this is all very new to me, wanting to learn as much as I can to get some good images ... as far as settings go, shutter speed, sharpness.. things like that.. 

I appreciate your response to the question, not my thread but your answer will help me as I go to Alaska, and I am looking at filters and now I know what to get.

FILTERS are thin glass things that screw onto the front of a lens. They are used to protect the front of a lens, to polarize light, and for special effects. They do not "sharpen" an image or "improve quality" unless they are being used for a special reason.

If you are talking about screw-on lens attachments, these are not filters. There are screw-on telephoto adapters and wide-angle adapters to change your lens's field of view. But they are junk and their use is not advised. The can even do damage to your lens because of their weight. And they don't sharpen or improve quality. Actually they can negatively affect images.

Canonbassist909
Enthusiast

ill set the camera to shutter priority, is there a specific speed I should set ? .. ill take a look at amazon or hit up the local Best Buy store and see what they got. 

Well, it depends. Panning would require slower speeds, like maybe 1/30, as you move with the plane. If you want to freeze planes, fast speeds, like 1/1000 or faster should do the job.

Announcements