cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift from my grandma - Need CB-5L Battery Charger

fancypantss
Apprentice

Help! My late Grandma gifted me her old EOS Rebel 300. I have absolutely know idea how to use it. I am very interested in getting into photography. However, the camera wont stay charged long enough to examine. I think I want to order a new charger and new batteries. My questions: How can I find a CB-5L battery charger? Do I HAVE to use that specific charger type/brand? I cant find that exact 5L here on the Canon site or even on Amazon, does that matter? Also, same question applies to my batteries. Must I ONLY use the Canon Li-ion Battery? Can I use a different brand? The last question I have right now, what type of lenses should I look at purchasing for quality professional photos? Or is that even possible with a camera this old? I would love to do maternity, senior photos, engagement photos with eventually wedding. PLEASE give me all of your advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

While Canon batteries are best, for a camera this old, third party batteries should be fine.

Did you get any lenses with it? If you got the 18-55 kit lens, that should be fine to start out. Don't get any more lenses until you get familiar with what you have.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

fancypantss
Apprentice

no* 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would recommend only purchasing directly from Canon or authorized Canon resellers.

In terms of batteries and their chargers, definitely recomnend sticking with Canon-branded ones.

Since the CB-5L is no longer in production, you'd need to purchase one used.  B&H Photo currently carries the CB-5L in their used department for around $25.

In terms of lenses, what currently do you have with the camera?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you! In the camera bag it looks like I have a QUANTARAY (it is huge, at the end of the lense it has the numbers 62mm, in the middle it has the numbers 70-300mm) and then I have a Canon EFS 18-55mm 

She also gave me a NIKON coolpix L320. Which I also know zero about using. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

While Canon batteries are best, for a camera this old, third party batteries should be fine.

Did you get any lenses with it? If you got the 18-55 kit lens, that should be fine to start out. Don't get any more lenses until you get familiar with what you have.

fancypantss
Apprentice

Thank you! I know I need to get it charged and working so I can get some practice in. 

In the camera bag it looks like I have a QUANTARAY (it is huge, at the end of the lense it has the numbers 62mm, in the middle it has the numbers 70-300mm) and then I have a Canon EFS 18-55mm 

She also gave me a NIKON coolpix L320. Which I also know zero about using. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi fancypantss,

Congrats on the acquisitions.  Do you have any photography experience?  Unless you have a burning desire to learn about film photography, I suggest you retire the EOS 300.  Its a 20 yr old film camera.  

The Nikon digital will likely be a more satisfying experience, allowing you to see your shots and take others if something is under exposed, someone blinks, isn't smiling, etc.  

Does Walgreens, CVS or Target even sell film anymore?  Maybe they do.  Then there is getting it developed.  Just want you to be aware of what you might be facing.  

Looks like they do... 7-10 days.

shadowsports_0-1683244384416.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

A film camera would not need a CB-5L charger, are a rechargeable battery at all.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I see what happened now.  Post states EOS 300. but the camera is actually a EOS 300D? which uses the CB-5L and BP-511 battery.  The EOS 300 is film, fully automatic and battery powered.

shadowsports_0-1683263017437.png

300D

shadowsports_0-1683261622298.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

LeanToniac
Apprentice

To find a CB-5L battery charger, you can try checking online marketplaces like Amazon or eBay. It doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same brand or model, as long as it's compatible with your camera's batteries.

Speaking of batteries, while it's recommended to use Canon Li-ion batteries, you can also explore other reputable brands that offer compatible batteries for your camera. Just make sure to check the specifications and reviews to ensure they're reliable.

Oh... and by the way, have you considered creating a custom photo blanket? It could be a fantastic way to showcase your favorite shots and create a unique keepsake.

Announcements