cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Battery Grip Availability

haileybaker
Apprentice

Is there a battery grip I can use with an EOS R7? If there is, which one would work best?

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@haileybaker wrote:

Is there a battery grip I can use with an EOS R7? If there is, which one would work best?

Negative.  Canon did not release or announce a battery grip when the R7 was initially released.  This is a very good [indication] that Canon may never release one.

As pointed out above, using a third party battery grip would be inadvisable.  The camera was not designed to use a battery grip.  The necessary connections for controls and knobs are not included in the camera body, typically located inside the battery compartment.  This is the reason for the external cable connection illustrated above.

Finally, because the camera lacks the physical connections for a proper battery grip, then it also lacks the firmware to use a battery grip.  A battery grip typically includes two batteries.  The camera firmware alternates between using one battery and then the other every so often, draining both batteries at approximately an equal rate.  

It is a safe bet that the R7 firmware does not include firmware code routines to alternate battery usage inside of a battery grip.  I have no idea how a third party would try handle this issue.  Best not to try it to find outl.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements