cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF for RF lenses generates Err 01

paulconti
Apprentice

I am having trouble with the adapter.  It's with multi focal lenses.  Fixed focal length lenses are fine.  However, my EF 18 to 55 Canon lens generates an err 01 frequently. I find that if I disable auto focus it does not generate an error.  It's not the contacts for the lens or the adpter. I eliminated that as a possibility.  Fixed focal le gth lenses work without error.  That lens works fine on my Canon DSLR. 

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ I am having trouble with the adapter.  It's with multi focal lenses.  Fixed focal length lenses are fine. “

Which version of the EF-S 18-55mm lens do you have?  What is the full number printed on the front of the lens?  There have been several versions over the years, with the latest having a full model number that ends with “STM”.  

I would expect the latest version to be fully compatible.  The older versions should also be compatible, but you never know.  Many older lenses initially released prior to 2009, and Dual Pixel AF, are not fully compatible.  But those limitations are typically constrained to video performance.  The camera should not give an error on power up.

You mentioned “zoom lenses”, plural.  What other lenses are giving you trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon Zoon Lens EF-S 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 is the description on the lens.  I also own a Canon 70 to 300 mm zoom.  I am traveling and did not bring it with me since I have an RF 100 to 400 lens.  I do not remember the exact model of that lens.  Both EF lenses are at least 10 years old. 

Fascinating!  

Since an upgrade to a mirrorless camera is a something that I may consider in the future, I would assume that I would get an EF to RF adapter as well so that I could use my EF or EF-S lenses with the mirrorless body. 

I occasionally buy used lenses or bargain hunt for good used lenses so I'm curious if your statement on older lenses "initially released prior to 2009" also pertains to every EF lens and L lens that was released prior to 2009? 

For instance, the EF 85mm f1.8 USM has been around a long time and that lens is one that I might buy under the right circumstances.  But is future compatibility when using and EF to RF adapter questionable only if the lens were made prior to 2009 or apply for all 85mm f1.8 USM lenses no matter the year of manufacture?

Also, there are versions of L lenses that have been around for a long time and have versions II, III and so on.  Are you saying to check if the release date on the version of the lens and if it's prior to 2009, keep looking?

Again, fascinating and thought-provoking original post and answer.  Thanks for bringing it up!

Memory is an interesting thing.  I went to the web page of the retailer where I purchased the lenses in 2002!  Twenty one years ago. Wow. I didn't realize it was two decades ago. I guess I have to cut Canon some slack.  My EF nifty 50 is about 3 years.  It works perfectly but it's not multi focal.  

If the EF nifty 50 works, I would bet the 85 f1.8 would work!  I had both lenses back when I was using an EOS film camera but sold them (wish I would have kept them) when I stopped shooting film and took a long break from quasi-serious photography.  

When I got back into it earlier this year I bought a 50mm STM when I bought the camera kit but still miss the 85mm.  .  

Announcements