cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon BG-R10 Battery Communication Issue

aswilsonpvt
Apprentice

Hi All, I recently re-installed by BG-R10 grip onto my CanonR5 and I'm getting a battery communication error/"Is your battery a Canon" message. The grip worked well without any issues in the past. The battery is an authentic Canon LP6NH and came with the camera. If I insert the battery into the Camera, it is recognized. But, if it's in the grip, it thinks it not a Canon.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Not sure if it's relevant but I updated to Firmware 1.60 before the battery grip was re-installed. 

Any thoughts on how to resolve ?

Thank you !

20 REPLIES 20

I suggest downloading and installing f/ware 2.0.0, the current version.  I have it and no issues to report and I use the BG-R10.  If you still have the issue, I would check contacts inside the battery compartment of the camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Pierric wrote:

Sorry I meant firmware 1.82

Greetings,

The same applies.  Please start a new thread, your own, so your issue can receive the visibility and support it deserves.  Please include information about your batteries, age, any troubleshooting steps you performed, etc. Always happens when I...  doesn't happen when I...  I can you reproduce the behavior when I?  Thanks in advance.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Pierric
Contributor

I have the same issue. When this occur, the camera become unusable and I need to remove the grip and use the battery directly in the camera body to make it work

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good Morning.

I suggest you start a new topic.  I have some additional questions to ask once this is done.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ponderthissmile
Apprentice

my bg-r10  joystick only goes up when in the r5.  I put it in the r6 and everything works.  I got a brand new one and that one did the same t

It sounds like an issue with the camera, check your contacts on the grip and inside the battery compartment of the camera, and make sure you are using firmware 2.0.0.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

MrHolley
Contributor

I actually just had an issue this past weekend with my camera black screening. I am currently trying to find the firmware update for my bg-r10 and am unable to locate it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the firmware update?

There is no firmware for the BG-R10.
Things to consider:  is the black screen happening when the BG-R10 is not attached?   Usually a black screen is an internal camera issue, so I would simply the diagnostic process by removing all but the basics and doing a camera reset.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks. I’ll check the contacts

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

As I said elsewhere.  I am not aware of any FW available for the BG-R10

If you have a source, you are welcome to post it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements