cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 52mm Drop-In Filters

Robbrarine
Contributor

To Canon Community,

I wanted a Screw and Polarizing 52mm Drop-In filter for my Canon 500mm F/4L IS lens I recently purchased. Since the lens is 15 years old, Canon does not sell the "original" Drop-In filters for this lens anymore. Canon sells Gen II and Gen III 52mm Drop-In filters (Gen II Screw $136) (Gen III Polarizing $320). I scoured the internet and called Canon to find out if the newer generation Drop-In filters would physically fit the 1st generation lenses. Even talking directly talking to Canon I was not given a clear answer. I then went onto Ebay to try and find 1st gen filters and people wanted the same price or more for these used filters. I wasn't about to spend that type of money on used. Then I found a seller selling a used Gen III Polarizing 52mm Drop-In Filter with a starting bid of $50 AUD or $33 USD, so I bid. I won the bid at the $33 and $10 shipping. I was willing to spend $43 on something that may not fit than spend $300+. I received the filter through the mail and tested it. 

I am pleased to confirm that any generation 52mm Drop-In Filter will fit any generation lens that required the 52mm Drop-In Filter. The only difference I see is the color. Canon has slightly changed the color from generation to generation of the lenses, but as physically fitting it dropped right in. I will now get a Gen III 52mm (Screw) Drop-In Filter, since I can get a new one cheaper than a used one and that they will physically fit. (I am not concerned about the color change)  

Additionally, I did see literature on a RF lens to use Gen III 52mm Drop-In Filters so there also seems to be no change from the EF to RF for the Drop-In Filters. 

I included some photos of the Gen III 52mm PL-C (polarizing) Drop-In Filter in my Canon EF 500mm F/4L IS.

(Note: These filters are for the IS models, Canon's older Non-IS models utilized a smaller 45mm Drop-In Filter the 52mm Drop-In Filter will not fit those lenses)

_MG_0863a.jpg_MG_0865 -1a.jpg_MG_0866 -1a.jpg_MG_0867 -1a.jpg_MG_0868 -1a.jpg

Robert C. Thomas

0 REPLIES 0
click here to view the gallery
Announcements