cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Grip Communication Error on BG-R10(R6 Mark II)

BaronVonCheese
Apprentice

Suh dudes, I have recently acquired a BG-R10 for the vertical shooting functions on my R6 Mark II, and have run into this error in the attached picture. I have OEM LP-E6NH batteries and have tried cleaning the contact points with a dry cloth and eraser. The battery still works fine when installed directly into the camera, but displays this error when I try using it while installed. Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has run into this issue!

IMG_9147.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I have had my four OEM BG-R10 grips for some time and they all work flawlessly including the R6II: two have been doing so for three years. 

Looking at the photograph you provided, have you put a textured skin over this battery grip? The surface does not look like any of my own units and appears to also have had the normal textured rubberized area replaced, yet the body is without such a texture - that mismatch seems rather odd...

OTG50025 copy.jpg

If you did not put these textures on, where did you source this grip from?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It’s a Lifeguard skin for the grip, which covers basically the entire body aside from the buttons and the logo. This grip was a gift so it’s probably been through the blender, but it is legitimate, I have the expired warranty cards.

So, was it a gift of a new unit, or one that they had used and was surplus to the donor's needs? Given, as you say, the skin covers camera and grip, and it does not appear to be on your camera, is the rest of the skin on the original owner's camera body?  If it was the case did it ever have issues with them?
If the unit is still under warranty, then contact Canon tech support (in the US 800-ok-canon) and have a chat with them.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The surface texture immediately jumped out at me, too.  That and the position of the locking dial.  If this “cover” sits between the grip and the body, then that could be issue.  It may not be sufficiently tightened down to make solid electrical connections.

199CFD85-71D4-4331-B27B-73DAAA6DC957.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements