cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another garbage Canon LP-E6 series battery

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I have used Canon gear for a very long time and never had any complaints until I started dealing with the LP-E6 series batteries in the 5 series gear.  Three weeks ago one of the less than one year old original LP-E6N batteries had the fast flash error code in both of my Canon chargers.  I ordered a pair of LP-E6NH and with less than one month of use and on the second charge one of those new LP-E6NH batteries has the same fast flash issue in both chargers.

I have never had an issue with a Canon battery in 1 series gear but I am far from impressed with their quality level with the LP-E6 series.  The Canon service note issued shows there is a problem with these batteries but the suggested method to resolve it did nothing for either battery. 

Canon technical support sent me back to the retailer, Adorama which is an authorized Canon dealer selling genuine Canon batteries.  I will take it up with them tomorrow but I am really glad I don't rely upon 5 series gear like I do my 1 series bodies because I can't.  I have 12 different Canon batteries for my 1DX series bodies, some of which are approaching 5 years old, and they all work charge and discharge reliably like they should.  Once I get this resolved, I am moving to third party batteries for the 5 series bodies because the real deal isn't very impressive.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
11 REPLIES 11

The problem is when one country dominates the Lithium market and has the ability to regulate purity rates. What I've personally noticed across the board is lower and lower purity rates, mostly caused by inconsistencies in the processing and QC. We as a society are being fed another low quality inconsistent quality controlled product. It's as if they are trying to find a comfortable level and in many cases, forcing lower quality levels on us....name any 3rd party provider?

The problem has become such that it is now a National Security concern. I have no idea who supplies Canon batteries so it could be a typical supplier issue and raw material quality issue all contributing. 

Lithium purity is the short answer, the less pure the shorter lifespan 

Hello, btw I'm Clod 

jrowson
Apprentice

I have been shooting with Canon for over 30 years since my first AE-1 Program back in High School. I have had a Canon-branded LP-E6 lock up my old EOS 5D Mk IV and I had to ship it to Canon for repair! I’ve got a pair of LP-E6 replacement batteries from Manfrotto that have been stellar! Don’t know if I will go back with genuine branded Canon batteries since the one that went bad was a genuine Canon that was only charged using the charger that came with my camera.

Announcements