cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HFG50 - Flickering Video

whysigh
Apprentice

Hi All,

I live stream sports and recently did a boxing event and the out come was a very flickery video! - again, nothing recordered and all live streamed.

I used a CANON VIXIA HFG50 here in the UK and I understand I have the american model and not the european LEGRIA version.

See sample of the flickering here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnWwVnrlNFI

what can I change on the camera to stop this from happening? Please remember this is the VIXIA HFG50 and Im in the UK so im thiking there is an issue with this, what setting can I use to stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

You are using a camcorder that is designed to be used in a country with 60 hertz mains frequency, not the 50 hertz of the UK, hence the flickering of the lights. The Vixia G50  framerates of 29.97 and 59.94 are for 60 hertz regions. You cannot select 25 or 50fps for 50hertz countries.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0beta4 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite

What were your camcorder settings? Shutter speed, framerate would be the most useful to know.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

whysigh
Apprentice

I will double check what they are on now, but changing the framerate seems to make no difference (i think on my camera there are only three choices) - where is best to check shutter speed on mg Vixia HFG50? - any idea? settings seem very limited and I am only streaming from the camera, into atem mini or laptop. (flickering is visible on the camera flip out screen)

What mode do you have the camcorder in? Auto, Tv, something else?   You should be able to press the "Disp" button to cycle through on-screen displays.

Shutter speed should be shown near the upper-left corner of the screen.  See pages 75 and 113 in the User Manual for details.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

You are using a camcorder that is designed to be used in a country with 60 hertz mains frequency, not the 50 hertz of the UK, hence the flickering of the lights. The Vixia G50  framerates of 29.97 and 59.94 are for 60 hertz regions. You cannot select 25 or 50fps for 50hertz countries.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0beta4 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

I thought this might be the case - Thank you

click here to view the gallery
Announcements