cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF G50 Image Stabilization Randomly Stops Working

jimbo861
Apprentice

I picked up a refurbished Vixia HF G50 camcorder almost a year ago, but for several months I've noticed some of my footage looks quite shaky on my tripod, even with dynamic (optical) stabilization enabled. I always thought my cheap, flimsy tripod was the problem, so I recently got a new one hoping that would solve the issue, which it didn't. The stabilization works flawlessly for several seconds at a time before randomly disabling itself, and I have to move or shake the camera to get it working again, only for it to disable again right after. I've double checked my settings and done a factory reset with no luck.

Here's an example: https://youtu.be/V0XGgVtDq_E

dynamic stabilization was selected in settings the while time.

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

If you use a tripod, it's best to always disable stabilization.  When not using a tripod, how does stabilization work?  Do you find it also gets disabled after a while?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Weirdly it seems to work fine when I'm holding it, but the footage is still more wobbly than I would like it due to my hands moving around.

Stabilization can definitely fail if using a tripod or other surface such that the camcorder will not move.

One of the disadvantages of camcorders (or any lighter pieces of gear) is that attempting to hold them steady is more challenging than when using heavier gear.

You can perhaps look into other stabilization equipment such as gimbals.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements