cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the C100 compatible with the PIX 240?

focused504
Apprentice

I know the answer should be yes, but I am having trouble with mine.

When plugged directly into the PIX, I get a "no video" warning and the HDMI menus blink showing imcompatability. But, when I run the HDMI through a simple 5v splitter, the signal locks in immediately.

I've spoken with Canon a couple of times as well as Sound Devices and I'm not getting anywhere. The C100 feeds a monitor just fine. The Pix records other HDMI inputs without a problem. But the two together just don't work. Has anyone else run into this situation?  I've talked to a couple of other shooters and rental houses and all of their units are compatable and working. I do have the latest firmware on both units. I have run through the menus with both companies. Is there something I am missing? A small setting somewhere that will clear this up?

To make it worse, I have a colleague who also owns a C100 and his also does not show up on the PIX.  I'm not about to purchase a Ninja as I have the PIX already it it works with everythign else I own. Just wish I could get an answer on why it won't cooperate with the C100.

All comments welcome. A forwarded solution may result in several comped beverages at NAB in April.

3 REPLIES 3

Tim
Authority

Hi, focused504, thanks for posting!  One possible scenario that may be causing this issue are matching frame rates.  Is the resolution and frame rate that you have selected on the EOS C100 either matching in settings or recognized by the recorder?

This would definitely be an easy thing to check and one that would make a very big difference in making the recorder work or not. 

If this is an urgent matter, we encourage you to contact technical support directly at your earliest convenience.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've spoken with Canon tech support twice.

Frame rate is not the issue. 1) The recorder auto detects what is coming in and displays it. Record settings are then made available based upon what is being fed in. 2) The hardware converter in this is pretty good so converting has yet to be a problem.

But... I cant even get that far.   The signal is not recognized, at all. The recorder just states :No Input  Same as if nothing is plugged in.  When the recorder is plugged in, otput options under the HDMI menu in the camera are no longer available. They blink or grey out. This result has been reproduced with a second C100.

Yesterday I tested the recorder with 4 different cameras with different resolutions and frame rates. All worked thru the HDMI input to the PIX 240 except the C100. I dont want to be pointing a finger but getting the responce over the phone of, "it not in our unit" is discouraging when its the only one I am having trouble with.

~~~~~~~~~~

I did the test with a colleague present. He is confused as well and asked if there was an OVERRIDE option that would turn off the HDMI communication? That would atleast allow the info to go from the camera out to the recorder with out getting an "imcompatable" signal back in that greys out the menus.

Any thougths on this?  I have a second PIX unti being lined up to test with that. If I get the same results on that unit it will confirm it is in the camera.

Hello focused504,

The specifications on the Sound Devices web site, makers of the PIX 240i, do not specific if the EOS C100 is a compatible model.  We have not tested this for compatibility, as we only make the cameras and not the recording devices such as this.  It's possible that this is an issue with the recorder you have, and it would be good to test it with another recorder of the same type to see if this is the issue.  It seems strange that others have been able to get this to work, with the same camera and settings, and yet you have not.  That is, of course, irrespective of the fact that we do not and cannot provide technical support for the recorder, only the EOS C100.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements