cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble wireless connection to Pixma printer

fastartcee
Apprentice

Hi,

I have been WiFi connecting to my printer for years, but suddenly...  I cannot get a connection.

I've confirmed that my laptop and my Pixma MX882 printer are on the same wireless network.

I have renewed my printer connection by re-entering the WiFi password; WiFi light is on, confirming connection.

In Printers & Scanners my printer is listed, but marked 'Offline'. If I clear the print queue, then click on 'Printer' and uncheck "Use offline", then my printer shows up as 'unconnected'.

I have tried turning off and unplugging the printer, then starting it again, unplugging my router and letting it re-establish my local network, and confirming the printer has reconnected to WiFi. When I try to print....  nothing happens.

I have carried my laptop over to the printer, and connected them by USB cable. File printed perfectly, so the printer is okay.

I'm stumped. Any help would be much appreciated!

Art

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi fastartcee.

If the computer isn't allowing the port to be changed, remove the printer from your printers list, then run the driver (MP Driver for Windows / CUPS Printer Driver for Mac OS) installation again.  It's available, free of charge, on th MX882 Drivers & Downloads page.  If your operating system is detected and no drivers are listed, then the MX882 is not supported on that version of Windows or Mac OS.

If adding the printer back on Mac OS, be sure to do so through Add New Printer or Scanner, and select the Canon IJ Network (for wifi/ethernet) or Canon IJ Multifunction (for USB) entry in the Available Printers list.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Art,

Common problem.  The IP address of your printer is changing.  Why, because you are using DHCP.  IP addresses are assigned by your router.  Set a static IP for the device on the router.  This will keep it from changing and allow any device on your networlk to "find" your printer regardless of when it was turned off/on or was last used.  Only has to be don't once.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I went through the process of setting a static IP for mly Canon printer, but it still doesn't print.
Under 'properties' it appears to be connected to a usb port, but I am blocked from unselecting tlhat connection.

Any other advice?
Thanks for your reply.

Hi fastartcee.

If the computer isn't allowing the port to be changed, remove the printer from your printers list, then run the driver (MP Driver for Windows / CUPS Printer Driver for Mac OS) installation again.  It's available, free of charge, on th MX882 Drivers & Downloads page.  If your operating system is detected and no drivers are listed, then the MX882 is not supported on that version of Windows or Mac OS.

If adding the printer back on Mac OS, be sure to do so through Add New Printer or Scanner, and select the Canon IJ Network (for wifi/ethernet) or Canon IJ Multifunction (for USB) entry in the Available Printers list.

Thank you, Darius  ...and others who replied.

Installing the newest Pisma MX882 driver solved all my problems.

Art

I am having similar trouble with my MG3550 printer.

It connects no problem via USB to my Lenovo laptop with Windows 10, but I cannot get it to connect via wireless.

I can airprint from a phone but only when nearby printer.

Any suggestions??

Announcements