cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon st-e3-rt slave readly light goes on and off

lauphoto
Apprentice

The ready symbol of the lighting bolt on my transmitter that indicates the flashes are recycled and ready go on and then go off again randomly. I have 4 flash slave units and one out of every 4 photos, all the flashes fire. New eneloop charged batteries.

The radio channel signal strenth was good. I use these everyday, and this just happened today, (of course Im on my biggest corporate job of the year).

I use ABC ratio, and all three will randomly turn on and off indicating they are reay and then go off.

HELP!

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello Lauphoto, 

The first thing that comes to mind is your mention of the use of eneloop batteries, in and of itself not an issue- but unless you've tried regular alkaline or lithium conventional batteries, I'd make that the first troubleshooting step.  

Should the issue persist, you may also wish to provide more details into the setup of the flash units themselves, any abnormalities, relevant distances etc,.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You may be getting interference from other radio sources.  That's part of life dealing with a largely unregulated part of the spectrum (every baby monitor, bluetooth headset, wireless phone or headset, WiFi, and microwave oven (yes, microwave ovens) use the same spectrum.)  

1)  Press the 4th soft-button (that's the one that says "Menu 1", "Menu 2", "Menu 3", etc. until you are on the "Menu 3" page.

2)  Press the "Ch" (channel) button (1st soft button on "Menu 3" page) and rotate the dial to pick a channel OTHER than "Auto" (don't use Auto or the next step wont work correctly.)  Press the "SEL/SET" button in the center of the dial to lock in your choice.

3)  Press "Scan" ... and wait.

4)  Review the report (graph) and look for a channel with good signal quality. 

Once you find a good channel, manually move all your flashes to that channel.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements