cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX III-RT AF assist beam won't work

Flaherty
Contributor

I'm hoping someone can help.

I've just bought a Canon 430EX III-RT and for the most part I'm very impressed with this speedlight.  However, when I try to set up the AF-assist IR beam both on and off my camera (Canon 90D) it won't work.  I've gone into the sub-menu P.Fn 05 and selected "1".  When I back out, however, the icon shown is for the standard flash, not the specific AF-assist IR icon.  The red IR will not function.  I have no problems with the master-slave off-camera flash function which I think is great.

Has anyone else had this issue?  I hope it is just a set-up error on my part.  Every other function of this speedlight appears to function as required.

I don't do much flash photography but I never had this problem with my Canon 380EX which unfortunately gave up (finally) after 25 years of faithful service.

I look forward to any assistance provided.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

The icon on the main flash LCD screen doesn't show if the IR assist is enabled or not. In PF.n-05 does show the IR assist icon. deebatman316 raises a good point, are you using AF servo focus mode on the camera? That mode prevents the IR beam firing as well.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Regardless of the setting one of the AF Assist Beam projection methods should work. Unless the camera is set to AI Servo. The OP reports no type of AF Assist Beam emission at all. If the camera is set to AI Servo. You won't see any type of AF Assist Beam projection. In Full Auto Intermittent Flash Firing should work. In Full Auto IR AF Assist IS NOT possible. Only Intermittent Flash Firing works. If Intermittent Flash Firing is not working then the speedlite is defective.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Hi Bob,

I have changed from AI-servo.  I was using the camera for a lot of sports photography and had it set on that particular program, not thinking it would be an issue.  All good now.  

Thank you for your time and patience in responding to me.

F

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The icon on the main flash LCD screen doesn't show if the IR assist is enabled or not. In PF.n-05 does show the IR assist icon. deebatman316 raises a good point, are you using AF servo focus mode on the camera? That mode prevents the IR beam firing as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the camera's custom functions, there is a setting in the Autofocus custom function for AF assist beam firing. There are multiple choices under that function. Check that setting for enable.

Flaherty
Contributor

Bob and Demetrius,

from that rather confusing scenario I have learned so much more about my camera.  Like I mentioned in my initial query, I rarely do flash photography and my old 380EX served me very well for about 25 years.  My new 430EX III-RT is a serious step up from that flash and I am really excited about the kind of photography I will now be able to venture into.

Thank you for your help.

F

You can now set flash functions from the camera's menu screen now. Your new speedlite supports what Canon calls the "Speedlite Control Menu". You can set all of your custom functions from there now. All other settings can be set from there too. Only personal functions can't be set from the camera menu. Note if flash exposure compensation is set on the flash and the camera. The speedlite's setting overrides it unless it's set to 0 FEC. Just remember speedlite settings override the camera. Your speedlite and camera can't have conflicting settings. In this case the speedlite overrides the camera. 

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that flash is a nice upgrade to your camera. I have the same flash with my EOS 80D and it works well.

@5DIV, I just checked the manual for this speedlite. Can you confirm that AF Assist Beam icon changes. When the AF Assist Beam Enable/ Disable CF is displayed on the LCD screen. The manual states that it should change depending on PF 5. My 470EX-AI does change the icon displayed for the AF Assist Beam Enable/ Disable CF. When the AF Assist Beam Projection method is set.

1000003574.png

-Demetrius

Anonymous
Not applicable

The icon does change in the CF 8 menu to reflect the setting of PF 5 (IR or intermittent flash firing). The OP was asking about the flash icon on the main screen of the flash, which doesn't show any change between the two modes of focus assist. It remains a flash firing icon that changes with beam pattern changes, such as bounce flash, but not focus assist selections.

Announcements