cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX III-RT AF assist beam won't work

Flaherty
Contributor

I'm hoping someone can help.

I've just bought a Canon 430EX III-RT and for the most part I'm very impressed with this speedlight.  However, when I try to set up the AF-assist IR beam both on and off my camera (Canon 90D) it won't work.  I've gone into the sub-menu P.Fn 05 and selected "1".  When I back out, however, the icon shown is for the standard flash, not the specific AF-assist IR icon.  The red IR will not function.  I have no problems with the master-slave off-camera flash function which I think is great.

Has anyone else had this issue?  I hope it is just a set-up error on my part.  Every other function of this speedlight appears to function as required.

I don't do much flash photography but I never had this problem with my Canon 380EX which unfortunately gave up (finally) after 25 years of faithful service.

I look forward to any assistance provided.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

The icon on the main flash LCD screen doesn't show if the IR assist is enabled or not. In PF.n-05 does show the IR assist icon. deebatman316 raises a good point, are you using AF servo focus mode on the camera? That mode prevents the IR beam firing as well.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

It only needs to be set to "Enable AF Assist Beam". The AF Assist Beam projection method must be set on the speedlite itself. Setting the camera to IR Only. With the speedlite set to Intermittent Flash Firing. Results in no AF Assist Beam at all. The IR AF Assist Beam only was for the 270EX originally. It lacks an IR AF Assist Beam. That setting disables speedlites from firing a non-IR AF Assist Beam. The 380EX was also limited to the center AF point too. It also lacks compatibility with the speedlite control menu. You have partial compatibility to set rear curtain sync, FEC and AF Assist Beam Firing. Since that speedlite lacks an LCD screen to set such settings.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can disable IR flash firing in the camera's menu for the attached flash custom controls. I just tried it with my 430 EXIII-RT and 80D.

That's if you set the camera to "Disable AF Assist Beam". You can't control Speedlite personal functions from the camera menu. You can only control speedlite Custom Functions. You also can't control the AF Assist Beam projection from the camera menu. That can only be controlled from the speedlite. 

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I know.

Hi Bob,

"Are you trying the IR beam with the flash mounted on the camera or not? It will only function when mounted on the camera." - I am only using the flash mounted and locked on the hotshoe.

"Also, are the in-camera flash settings set for IR firing? It can be disabled via the camera menu also."

I've selected <Flash control>

<External flash C.Fn setting>

8 /A/F-assist beam firing "0 - Enabled"

"Besides checking the icon on the flash, have you actually tried it on camera to see if it lights up red in the front of the flash with your lens cap on and pressing the shutter button?"  yes, but with no success.

I'm mystified, to be honest.  Surely the correct icon would appear in the LCD after setting the AF-assist on the flash unit, wouldn't you think.  That, along with the past two days trying to get it to function, would suggest there is a malfunction.

I appreciate your taking the time to assist.

The AF Assist Beam doesn't work with AI Servo. Only One Shot and AI Focus ONLY.

-Demetrius

That appears to have been the issue.  Thank you so much, Demetrius for your patience.  It is now working, but the little icon on the flash unit LCD for that particular function is not present.  That may only be a minor matter.  I am not stressing about it.  Thank you again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the P.Fn-05 (personal function #5) in the flash menu? It should be set to 1 for the IR focus assist.

Also note that the AF Assist Beam doesn't work with the camera set to AI Servo. It only works with AI Focus or One Shot.

-Demetrius

Anonymous
Not applicable

He mentions not seeing an icon for IR assist, the only place I know of an icon displayed is in personal functions 5. By the way, I have this flash and am familiar with the settings. We should concentrate on helping the OP.

Announcements