cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX Flash Exposure Confirmation Light is on Red All the Time

Dave44
Contributor

Does anybody know what it means when the flash exposure confirmation light is on red all the time - even when the flash is turned off? Just recently as soon as I put batteries in my flash this light is on & never goes off - is it time for a new flash?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It sounds like your speedlite needs repair then. But Canon no longer repairs it anymore. So a 3rd Party will have to repair it. Or replacement maybe warranted if it can't be fixed. Does the speedlite still work as normal. Except for the light being on all the time.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Which speedlite 430 do you have. Is it the 430EX original, 430EX II, 430EX III or 430EX III-RT. I'm assuming you mean the 430EX series. Not the old 430EZ from the film era.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Dave44!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon Speedlite model you're using.   We've made at least three different models with the number 430 in their name, so please let us know whether you're using the Speedlite 430EX, the Speedlite 430EX II, the Speedlite 430EX III-RT, or something else.  That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Dave44
Contributor

Thanks Danny - unfortunately I'm away & didn't bring my flash with me because it wasn't working & I was just thinking about getting a new one but tried to google the problem first which led me here. I think its the 430EX 

Basically, as soon as I put batteries in that light comes on red, even when the flash is turned off & its not connected to the camera - my guess was there's a button cell or something that needs replacing but I've found out nothing so far 

None of Canon's speedlites use button cell batteries.

-Demetrius

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I have the 430EX II.

Do you mean the Pilot light?

Untitled.jpg

That simply means that the capacitor is fully charged and ready to fire.

All of Canon's 430EX series have pilot lights. Even the predecessor 420EX has a pilot light. But the pilot light should go out after the speedlite is powered off. It should stay on while the speedlite is powered up.

-Demetrius

No, its the little rectangular light below the pilot light

Which exact model and when was it purchased. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

-Demetrius

Dave44
Contributor

Thanks Demetrius - unfortunately I do not have that information to hand! Sorry, I should have tried this when I had the flash with me, not when I was away!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements