cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect - 430EX III - RT with 270EX II ?

kenstjohn
Contributor

I am using a 6D Mk II and need a simple wirelerss flash setup.  I'd like to use a 430EX III RT as the on camera master, and a 270EX II in slave mode to highlight just a small portion of the scene.  I cannot get the two flases to connect wirelessly.

The 270's manual indicates it will work as a wireless slave unit on channels 1-4, A group only.

I have set the 430 to wireless master mode, tried Ch 1,2,3,4 to no avail ... no connection and the 270 does not flash.  Tried all three settings for groups on the 430 ( AUTO, AB and ABC) - no connection and no flash.

Am I missing something or is this setup just impossible?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Livin' in the Great Northwest!!
Canon 6D Mk II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4
5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Sorry, the 430EX III-RT and 270EX II are not compatible in wireless operations. 

The 430EX III-RT has both radio wireless capability and optical wireless capability as a "Slave Flash", but only radio wireless capability as a "Master Flash".

The 270EX II has only optical wireless capability as a "Slave Flash", just as the 430EX II in the chart shown in the manual.

430EX RT.jpg

Mike Sowsun

The manual for my 270EX II specifically states that it can be used as a wireless slave unit.

270EX.jpg

Thus my confusion ...

Ken

Yes, but OPTICAL wireless slave only.  Not RADIO (RT) wireless slave. 

Mike Sowsun

But on the next page, it indicates the radio channels (1-4) are used.

Ken

Those are optical channels not radio channels. 

Page 25 of the manual has the specs. 

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements