cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire other flash guns via 600ex-rt wireless?

neilp
Contributor

Just wndering if anyone know of a receiver capable of receiving the wireless  'fire' signal from the 600EX-RT and connecting up to another flash.

No need for TTL and two way coms of the slave..nice but not necessary.

As most of us, I have a rack of old guns that could be re used as slaves if I could trigger them.  
OK, I know that there are other solutions such as optical, or Pocket Wizard or others, but to be able to not have an extra device except for a receiver per slave flash would be great.

13 REPLIES 13

Skirball
Authority

I don’t know of any, but someone out there could have ‘cracked the code’ and rigged up some sort of RF receiver. 

However, and I know you mention trying to minimize devices, but you’re already talking about adding a receiver for each slave, adding a single transmitter on camera doesn’t seem that significant.  Do you really even need the flash on-camera?   If not you haven’t actually increased the amount of devices at all: one transmitter on the hot shoe, and each flash you need gets a receiver.  If you don’t need TTL then you can get some sets of Yongnuo RF-602s for next to nothing, and the transmitter is tiny.  I just leave the receivers on my lightstands so I don’t even think about them.  It’s hardly intrusive, much less so than having a flash on-camera.

No. Canon RT only plays nice with other Canon RT products. Nothing out there yet.  I'm hoping one day someone makes a Canon freindly  Sekonic RT module.  

Yes, understand what you are saying, about an extra transmitter, and it not being much more, and agree completely.
More of being able to use what I have rahter than get somethng else.

Just a thought really.

Just in case Canon uses these forums to gauge market interest, I would like to add my voice to those asking for an accessory to enable firing remote/slave pre-RT Canon Speedlites. In my opinion, the 580EX II was a sigificant upgrade over the 580EX. I bought my 580EX II late during its production period, and would gladly pay for an RT receiver unit that would allow it to receive a signal from a master 600EX-RT.

Another option would be an ST-E_ that could fire slave/remote Speedlites both optically and with RT at the same time. I would appreciate it even more if the AF-assist beam were to return, in such a device!

Then the ST-E_ would have to have optical output and I figure Canon is getting away from that. Optical is archaic with all the 3rd party trigger systems out there. Who really wants optical these days other than triggering older gear. Even then the Yongnuo 622 is dirt cheap.

Canon won't be going backwards but I'm impressed they do offer both Optical and RT with the 600. You still can only select one or the other, not both. Yes AF assist would have been nice with the STE3 but I think it was designed more for studio applications. Batteries would die sooner. If I need AF assist I throw on a 600. If a pro needs it another $200 for a 600 is really not that much if you earn a living as photographer.       

When you consider this Optical is on it's way out. 580EXII is discontinued. Soom the less expensive models will follow.  

http://pixsylated.com/blog/update-deciding-between-canon-speedlites-600ex-rt-and-580ex-ii/       

I reckon Canon is, indeed, getting away from optical wireless, but an AF-assist beam can still be valuable in some low-light situations. The ST-E2 is helpful as a stand-alone AF-assist beam emitter, but with it in the hot shoe, I lose the ability to use RT. This is why I bought two 600EX-RT Speedlights, which do allow me to have an AF-assist beam, no flash emitted by the master, and remote/slave Speedlites firing.

My 580EX II is still quite useful, of course, when all I need is one flash connected to the hot shoe, which is actually my usual set-up on the street. ("Street," in this case, meaning police patrol evidentiary photography, in a big city, at night. I am a first responder, with added photo duties, not a CSU/CSI/ID unit, so a shoe-mounted Speedlite is usually better-suited to my scenes.)

Edited to add: I should add the disclaimer that I am not an expert! I do quite a bit of shooting with Speedlites, under a range of conditions, while shooting unsupported and with tripods, usually in E-TTL mode, and rarely with modifiers, as there is often not enough time to use them. I try to be helpful here, when it looks like I have something to contribute.

I guess it is going to be a case of waiting for the cheaper (smaller) units to come from Canon.

I suppose one could then buy the smallest RT gun they sell for RT, and use that as a receiver to trigger an optical firing uni attached to a bigger gun..like my old metz 60 hammer heads

We can hope but you never know. The 430 cannot be used as a master. Canon may follow that path. Canon and other comapnies are not in the business of manufacturing products. They are in the business of making profit. Hate to say it but we live in a bottom line world. Despsite the complaints of no AF assist, 2cnd curtian sync and no auto zoom on the STE3 people purchase it anyway even if they can get less expensive 3rd party triggers systems that can do those things.

We might commplain a but we buy it anyway and they know it. I have an STE3 and 3 600's and happy with Canon RT. I have not missed those features yet but one day I may wish I had 2cnd curtain sync. Still can't fugure out why Canon did not offer that. I have heard it was from patton issues to they just plain forgot. Canon never did respond on this one.                     

For now I just use a tiny optical sensor to fire second flash guns...a totally stand alone cube about one by one by one inch...cheap hama device had them for years and years..no battery, nothing , just a sensor on front and hotshoe on top.

Basic but works..but to have wireless control ould be grea...so my flashes only go off with my camera,.  Little optical devices are great..but any flash sets them off.

just checked...they still make them

http://www.parkcameras.com/22653/Hama-006967--Slave-unit--Synchromat-.html?referrer=Froogle&gclid=CN...

Announcements