cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Speedlite Control Error

sherivw
Apprentice

Hi there.  I have my 580EX II connected to my 5D Mark II via a Vello cord.  I used to be able to control the flash on the back of the camera just fine using the External Speedlite Control menu function.  Now the last few days I am getting an error that says "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off."  The flash fires just fine. So what could possibly be going on? 

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sheri

3 REPLIES 3

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You have connection problems. It could be just the contacts, or possibly bad internal wiring in your cord. 

Including the ground, there are 6 separate circuits that must make contact between the camera and the flash.  One or more are not working properly.

Mike Sowsun

Thank you.  Darn, this cord is only a few months old.  But I think one of the ends dropped on concrete at a shoot a few weeks ago.  That could have done it in.  😞

Try putting the flash directly into the hot shoe and see if everything works normally again.

If so, then the cord is likely the problem. But to be honest, those cords are really nothing more than a bundle of wires from a hot foot to a secondary hot shoe. There's not really a whole lot to go wrong with them. They are relatively cheap to replace, but it might be worth carefully disassembling the end to see if you can spot a loose wire or something. 

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements