Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Community Manager

*Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

We heard you, Mac fans! The Mac version of our EOS Webcam Utility Beta software is now available. 

We’d love to know what you think of our beta Mac software. Once you’ve had some experience with it, share your feedback below to get tips and tricks from our support team.  

Screen-Display-beta.jpg

Caution Notes/Tips: Using EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software

• When using the EOS Webcam Utility Beta software with macOS 10.14(Mojave) and 10.15(Catalina), the following applications will not list or permit EOS Webcam Utility Beta software to function on your device:
    • Safari (Use Google Chrome)
    • FaceTime
    • Skype*
    • Zoom*
    • WebEx*

*Use Web-based Skype, Zoom and WebEx in Google Chrome instead of as a native application.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility Beta software with your camera, the video source image will not be visible if the EOS Utility application is running on your computer.  For EOS Webcam Utility Beta software to perform correctly, you need to “Quit" the EOS Utility.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility Beta software with your camera set to Still Photo Shooting mode, a black border may appear around the video source image or the video source image may be cropped. We suggest EOS Webcam Utility Beta software be used with your camera set to Movie Shooting mode, if available.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility Beta software, switching modes on your camera between Still Photo Shooting mode and Movie Shooting mode or turning your camera to on from the off position during video conferencing, it may take several seconds to recover your video feed.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility Beta software, only one video conferencing application will receive video feed at any given time. Other applications running simultaneously, where EOS Webcam Utility Beta has been selected as the video source, will display a default title screen. We recommend that you “Quit” any other video conferencing application not in use.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility Beta software, if the USB connection is unplugged during video conferencing, the video conferencing application may not display correctly. If this occurs and you cannot recover video feed after you reconnect the USB connection, you may have to restart your video conferencing application or restart your computer.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility Beta software with the EOS M50 camera, we suggest that the LCD screen be open and faced towards the user to achieve optimal performance.

products-v2.png

Looking to connect in higher quality?

Find the right webcam starter kit for you! 

button-shop-now.png

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

It works great using this for Skype. I have a Canon EOS R using USB C to USB A cable on my 2014.5 MacBook 💻 pro. Can I use HDMI? Does the USB A hinder sound in any way?
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

Why just the M6 Mark II and not the M6 too? This is dissapointing. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

No M5 support is disappointing, given that the model is almost identical to the M6.

Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

So I was super excited about this coming to Mac. I've been using it on Windows for awhile now, both on a separate PC and via a VMware program called Parallels on my Mac. I have Canon 70D (and therefore use a USB 2.0 A to Mini-b cable), so it shouldn't work based on the cameras suggested. However, it actually does work and connects flawlessly on both Parallels and my PC. What it's not doing is connecting to my Mac on Catalina. I have one program (Streamlabs OBS) that's able to list it, but for some reason it doesn't show any feed - it's completely black. I do see some of the programs listed above as not being able to list or permit the software to function - of course those don't list it. I really don't understand how it's able to be picked up by the Parallels program which is running Windows 10 on my Mac, and I'm plugging it in directly. Yet, it's not detected on the Mac and Catalina OS alone?

Update: I actually got it to connect on Streamlabs OBS on the Mac. I checked out Chris Ogden's suggestion for downloading the Cascable Pro Webcam and it seems installing it kickstarted the EOS Webcam Utility to function on Streamlabs OBS. So far this is the only program I can get it to work on.

Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for trying (to create Mac version). 

However, not much use since it does NOT work with the platforms that use webcams? (NOT compatible with ZOOM!?! Facetime, Sky, WebEx, Safari).

Perhaps you want to look at Cascable WebCam, which seems to work much better?  [Removed 3rd party link per Forum Guidelines]

Highlighted
New Contributor

Just get the chrome browser and use the web based version for your MacBook 💻 and you’re good to go.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Works with my MacbookPro 2018 macOS 10.15.4 and Canon EOS RP. Discovered and Works with CamTwist, OBS, MimoLive, but not Quciktime... USB-C to USB-C.. Excellent first try...

Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just tried it and it worked fine with my Canon EOS RP. I followed the instructions and quit the EOS utility before trying it. It took a few seconds for a picture to appear after I selected it as my camera.

The "codesign" workaround that has been widely circulated online allowed it to work with both Zoom and Skype For Business for me.

Previously I had been using my RP as a webcam with Camera Live and Camwist. I could never figure out how to make autofocus work with Camera Live, so I always used manual focus. Autofocus appears to work fine with the new utility.

Thank you for releasing it!

Highlighted
New Contributor

I've had it installed now. When I go to Quicktime, this is what I get:

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 4.24.26 PM.png

I am using a Canon EOS m50. So I don't get the actual lens view at all.

Any ideas?