cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OKC Bombing Memorial at Sunrise

RedBear1961
Apprentice

OKC Bombing MemorialOKC Bombing Memorial

I am a Senior at Arizona State University, pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Digital Photography.

I took this with my Canon Rebel T6i, using my EFS 18-55mm kit lens.

3 REPLIES 3

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Very good photo with the monuments, reflecting pool and the sky. My complements.

I have a T7 and it's smarter than me. After 6 years, I'm still learning.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Given you are a fine arts student, I am going to be picky here, and I hope this will be positively received. 
The subject and scene are beautiful, and you chose an excellent time of day to highlight the monument lighting and yet keep the sky - enabling a shot with the gear you have showing excellent control of exposure and general composition.  The image suggest an area of solemn peace and contemplation, of rest, but...

Your camera is a touch off horizontal, which means that my eye immediately is caught with the dropping angle of the ground towards the tilting memorial, and it instantly distracts me and breaks the tranquility of the scene.

I am sure you are familiar with the compositional principles that vertical and horizontal lines suggest stability - emphasis on vertical suggesting power (which is likely why people build tall monuments or worship mountains), while dominant horizontals imply peace, especially if centred in the vertical aspect of the FoV. Canon 5DMkIII, EF 24-105@24mm, f/6.3, 3.2sec, ISO-160Canon 5DMkIII, EF 24-105@24mm, f/6.3, 3.2sec, ISO-160 As soon as an image it tilted - even a tiny bit, it become dynamic and it creates tension, almost encroaching on our own sense of stability and possibly making us feel off balance.   This can be intentional via the use of a Dutch Tilt (which is the bastardization of the term Deutsch Tilt: actually likely German origin), but usually requires an angle that is dramatically off the vertical to create a  dynamic or tense statement - I have had it suggested at least as much as 15deg - certainly, to look like you meant it.  Such an example is this image of a racing car in an opulent area of Auckland Marina, which is itself almost horizontal at the level of the wheel base, but I have converted the perspective distortion of a wide-angle lens up close into rotation of the rest of the scene, throwing it off kilter.  I wanted to capture the aggression of the car in its well-heeled, but otherwise placid environment.
Sony RX-10IV @ 24mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-100Sony RX-10IV @ 24mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-100

Shooting just a little bit off, even part of a degree, is going to be a distraction (conscious or otherwise) - the longer the lines the greater the effect.  I would hate this to distract from your otherwise great image.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

RedBear1961
Apprentice

Noted

Announcements