cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morning Mists

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It's almost spring down here in NZ, but we still have quite cool mornings, resulting in come thick early-morning fogs. When I looked out at the fog-filled valley below me, I knew I had to get up high without major obstructions to get a clear shot. So, I whizzed up to the top of Auckland's Wiakumete Cemetery to be greeted by this.

While this is caused by cold layers and moisture, it reminds me of images sent by friends in British Columbia of similar effects caused by heat, smoke and fire..Canon EOS R5 • Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM @183mm • 1/160 • f/8 • ISO 3200Canon EOS R5 • Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM @183mm • 1/160 • f/8 • ISO 3200Canon EOS R5 • Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM @70mm • 1/125 • f/6.3 • ISO 1000Canon EOS R5 • Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM @70mm • 1/125 • f/6.3 • ISO 1000

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor,

Very nice.  Fog can be so dramatic.  Pic 2 is my fav.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick, mine too, actually!🙂

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Very nice photos. It is interesting that many don't take advantage of the effectiveness of B&W photos.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Thanks for your comments John.   I am a fan of greyscale photography when colour is not going to contribute to the image, and in fact may be a distraction.  Given we are automatically attracted to colours (warm, bright and saturated being the most impactful), I like to go to greyscale when I want to concentrate on tone, texture and form: what was more the case here.
I am personally a bit pedantic about nomenclature here...  I go with the definition that monochrome is an image containing only one colour, as in these examples (noting that white and black are not colours per se): obviously, in these two examples the colour is blue.  The first concentrates on pattern and texture, while the second is all about tonal values.
EOS 60D, 500mm, f/10, 1/250sec, ISO-200EOS 60D, 500mm, f/10, 1/250sec, ISO-200   EOS 7D, 105mm, f/8, 1/3200, ISO-200EOS 7D, 105mm, f/8, 1/3200, ISO-200

To me, Greyscale is for those images that have no colours, but a tonal range from white, through greys to black.  Often used for artistic effect and portraits.  As Ted Grant said "When you photograph people in colour, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!”   IMG_1360 copy.jpg   Canon EOS 60D, EF-S 60mm f/3.2, 1/13sec, ISO-200Canon EOS 60D, EF-S 60mm f/3.2, 1/13sec, ISO-200
Alternatively, I might use greyscale for texture or patterns:
IMG_0664 copy.jpg

I reserve the term Black and White for those images that contain elements that are purely black or purely white, but without the tonal values of grey in between.  These images are much more difficult to capture, but conform to a Japanese artistic concept called Notan - Light / Dark Harmony, which emphasizes structured lights and darks, an organic design and/or an interesting pattern.  The following image was taken of a strongly backlit bus shelter, for example.

Back-lit bus shelterBack-lit bus shelter

cheers, TREVOR

TCPHOTOVT
Apprentice

I love these photos.  It is nice to see more people dabble with B and W photos again.  Very well done.

Thank you!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements