cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C has no Date/Time Daylight Savings Time menu feature (whereas R5 does)

dd_chroma
Contributor

Is a missing Daylight Savings setting feature on the R5C (photo mode) a user interface oversight?

Working with an R5 and R5C side by side. Have been running into the issue where the images when ordered by date taken aren't correctly synchronised. I was expecting there to be a date / time issue. 

Finally had a chance to investigating this further (after some huge instability issues with USB connection on macOS Sonoma - that will be a separate conversation). Looking at the on camera Tools > Date / Time / Zone screen the R5 has a "sun" icon, whereas the R5C does not.

Connecting both cameras to a Mac with the latest EOS Utility (3.18.41) the menu options don't offer a date time setting option for the R5C. With automatic time sync enabled, the R5 appears to sync to the Mac. The R5C is now an hour behind.

I see two issues:

1. There is no summer time / daylight savings user interface on the R5C menu system - seems to be a weird omission
  2. Also missing from the Video menu as well
  3. EOS Utility 3 when connected to the R5C offers no feature for setting the Date / Time

I presume I have to think about the R5C is always in non-summer time, but it is correct relative to GMT+0000. Looking at the date info presented on camera the R5C is presenting the time an hour out ... now that's confusing.

I'll need to do a double check to see what the photo library tools now do in terms of representing dates...

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Rather than agonize over doing this with a daylight saving button or via an app, is there a reason that you cannot  simply go into the date and time menu on the camera, and move the clock forward or backward by an hour? It's just a couple more button presses, and it happens twice a year.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor

Ideally, I'd like the two cameras to sync to a Mac clock when they are connected.

I am doing that annual step right now to check, having done a project last night where two bodies are out of sync over enough minutes to be inconvenient.

There is over the course of a year some clock drift so you see photos from two bodies getting out of sync. When you are reviewing images in your library tool they can be non-sequential.

Lightroom doesn't have an option to shift a selection of photos (by body) by a couple of minutes ( you can shift by hours only ). 

R5 should be adjusting the time automatically when connected if the EOS Utility is working as advertised. Now that I've found that the R5C offers no Date/Time menu in EOS Utility, I'm now not convinced it does the automatic time sync. That would be one source of why the bodies are out of sync - one updates when connected serially, the other is freewheeling unsynced. 

... is there a reason that you cannot  simply go into the date and time menu on the camera, and move the clock forward or backward by an hour?

You have to be a little careful with this; there can be unintended consequences.  Time, unfortunately, is a complicated mess.

For example: right now I'm in the UK, and we're in British Summer Time (BST), which is 1 hour ahead of UTC; in winter we use UTC.

I just took a short video on my R5C, at 11:00 BST, with the camera's clock set to 11:00.  But since the camera has no DST setting, that means the video is effectively tagged as 11:00 UTC -- since the camera's timezone is set to UTC.  When I look at the CF card in Windows Explorer, it realises that 11:00 UTC is actually 12:00 BST, and so Windows displays the file's time 12:00, which is wrong.  (12:00 hasn't even happened yet.)

Wierdly if I then copy the file to my Windows hard drive, it displays 11:00.  But the "Media Created" field in Windows properties / Details still shows 12:00, which presumably is corrected to BST.

So how your computer displays the time can be unpredictable.  It would really be better if the camera had a DST setting, so you could set the timezone to BST, which right now you can't.  I could set the timezone to "Central Europe", but that's a dirty hack, and I suspect that would cause other problems.

Presumably people in other locations that use DST will have similar issues.

Times.png

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I've never given this much thought.  I've probably updated my firmware so many times this year that I never noticed.  You're right, there is no daylight saving setting.  I'll have to see what it does the first week of Nov when time changes again.

The EOS utility can be used to synchronize date and time with the computer but I never connect my camera to the EOS utility so...  It's just a manual thing for me

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I only pay attention to SHUTTER COUNTs when I connect the camera to the computer, which is very disappointing. Now all Nikon and Sony cameras can scan the most recent photo on camerashuttercount dot com to get the count #, but Canon cannot do this. Isn't it very strange? It's not convenient either

Tested the automatic date sync on both R5 and R5C by manually changing the time to something else.

R5 sync perfectly to the Mac.

R5C did not.

This exercise has revealed that I definitely have to pay manual attention to the R5C Date / Time settings. I had wrongly assumed it was time syncing to my Mac  "just like the R5" and this now explains why my cameras become out of date/time sync.

(also might explain why I was having issues with time sync on an ATOMOS, but that's another story).

[Aside] Interestingly when you set the date and time, the seconds sync when you press OK, not when you confirm the number.

The feature request I would ask for is that Canon develop a background extension that sets the date / time on the camera to the Mac immediately when it is plugged in rather than explicitly requiring the EOS Util app to be open (that's if the Preferences are set to do so). Keeping my camera in time sync is not something that I should have to manually remember to do. Who needs a camera that isn't in sync? If the camera ever becomes more network savvy (which is the advantage of the phone camera market) then checking an NTP server would be the other way.

I'd possibly want time sync to be checked if I also connect to an iPad or iPhone with Camera Connect.

Come to think of it, the BlackMagic ATEM can use my phone as a tether to stream out video. Why can't cameras tether rather than become the sole wifi end point that goes nowhere (in the networking sense).

Announcements