cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Photographer/Videographer Looking for New Camera

NaiHova
Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Event Photography/Videography space and am looking for a camera that performs proficiently in both video and photo. I would like some advice and pointers on what cameras can be good for professional events. I have used the Canon r5 previously and liked it. I would appreciate the advice, Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We probably need to start with a budget?

Do you own any lenses or are you starting out?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, Somewhere around 4,000 and below. I also need a gimbal, which would not be included in the budget. Would you happen to have any suggestions for a gimbal as well? 

Thank you!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

At your respectable budget, the R5 mkII and R3 are out.  The R3 (6k res) is not the best suited for gimbal work and the R52 (8k) is going to be $3999 (likely)

The R5 can be considered for wonderful stills.  8k and 4k video is limited by 1. a 30 min recording limit and 2. heat.  If you are not going to be filming for extended periods, the R5 even with its 4 yr old software architecture is a great unit.

If you are ok with 24MP and 4k video (down sampled from 6K) (which is great) then the R62 is another camera (very worthy of consideration) that can offer unlimited 4k video, 24MP stills and Canon's most advances software algorithms (AF, animal, vehicle, people subject tracking, etc).

My R5 C is another contender for a more video centric experience.  It doesn't have ibis (which I don't care about), so if stills are the primary goal, a body with ibis might be beneficial.  

For gimbals, DJI, Zhiyun and Manfrotto (no particular order) are very popular

Lens wise, the RF24-105 f2.8 Z and RF 35mm f/1.4L VCM are going to be two lenses you'll want to look at.  You will not be able to start out with both 😉.  They are not prohibitively expensive, but would take you to your budget without a body.  Note, the 24-105 Z is currently on sale in the Canon Refurbished store for -$300

24-105 Z Refurb

Please ensure you account for accessories and incidentals.  Lighting, Flash, batteries, cards, tripod and so forth.  There are 10 ways you can tackle this, and I'm sure others will have some advice as well.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements