cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone successfully using an FTP server hosted on a Netgear router for uploading clips?

JLP
Apprentice

Recently acquired an XF605 and have been busy wringing it out (and teaching myself to use it).  I have come across a rather intractable problem I hope someone here can help with. 

I'd like to be able to upload clips from the camera while I'm in the field to an FTP server at home so as to guarantee they'll get there even if I or the camera don't for some reason (not that I really anticipate that'll ever happen).  Anyway, I have a Netgear D7000 v1 router and a 50mb cable connection.  The router has the capability of hosting an FTP server and using USB storage with it.  I set the server up following Netgear's instructions and can use it both at home and away with my laptop so I know it works, but the camcorder refuses to connect to it no matter what I do, simply announcing "Unable to connect to FTP server."  I've tried using both active and passive mode and checked my username and password over and over.  It just won't connect.  And here's the funny thing:  There are FTP test servers online that the camcorder will connect to and in one case even even allowed an upload.  I also tried setting up an FTP server on my laptop and the camcorder connected to and uploaded to that

So I think I've got this narrowed down to an issue with either this particular router or maybe Netgear routers in general,  Don't think it's the camcorder since I've upgraded the firmware twice now since acquiring it.  I might mention that I've also upgraded the firmware on the router.

The only post I saw here involving anything similar was someone who had the same issue with an EOS camera and a Netgear router around four years ago.  Doesn't look like he or she ever solved it. 

Anyway, we're coming up on our annual tax-free weekend, which would be an opportune time for me to pick up a new router if my current one just won't do for this.  I'd like to stay with Netgear inasmuch as I signed up with their dynamic DNS provider to allow access over the internet without worrying about my IP address changing.  Is anyone else running into this issue with the same or another Netgear router, or with other brands?  Yes, I know that setting up something like a Raspberry Pi  as a server will solve this, but the router is already seven years old and it's likely time for me to move on. 

Any suggestions deeply appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

That's quite a combination. XF605 and and a 9 yr old D7000 v1.  Just to confirm it's not a R7000 v1?  Both models exist, I owned the latter in 2015.  Both are EoL and neither are receiving further development or updates.  I started using  Netgear devices about 18 yrs ago.  I don't use them any longer.  Primarily because their software development was outsourced.  Of late, their firmware is unreliable and development is poorly managed.  

Granted they make consumer grade products, but even for home use, they just aren't reliable.  It's unfortunate, because they have very good hardware, but when coupled with the firmware, it's not a recipe for success.  I used Linksys products too, for many years switching back and forth between brands until they were acquired by Cisco.  Both remain in the consumer/enthusiast hardware tier.  They are sort of all over the map.  No guarantee their products will deliver as they were marketed or promised.  Some features never get fully implemented and when they do, they often get broken on a subsequent FW release.  Their implementation of USB network attached storage, print server, VPN, FTP, parental controls, QoS, etc is largely unreliable.  

Attempting to connect your 605 to a FTP server being hosted on a router with 512mb flash memory and 1-2GB of RAM may not be feasible.  This has nothing to do with your bandwidth.  Also note that the security standards and protocols available when the router was released are not likely compatible with the more modern OS of your 605.  

One thing I'd like to point out.  Your router is the only thing between your home and the outside world.  Yours is almost 9 yrs old.  

If you plan to try this, I would recommend buying a new router.  It can be Netgear if you wish, but It should be something that is under current support.  It may cut down on your frustration level too.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements