Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Ordering The R5C?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Anyone else considering?  The R5C was not the road I anticipated taking, but I'm tired of waiting and since this body doesn't overheat, I am more confident about it over the standard R5.      

Although I am a stills shooter, the Cinema EOS side of the body is intriguing.  Its so much smaller than a C70.  I'm not serious enough about video that I'd miss Clog2.  The body has 16 14 stops so plenty of DR for my use.  Its also not limited to Super35 or 16 (which isn't so much a limitation), but Canon has really stepped up here.  I don't care about ibis.  All of my lenses except 1 are IS and the body has digital IS built in.  I have purchased a bunch of accessories.  Control Ring Adapter, 2 512GB CF ExpressB, 2 128GB UHSII, 2x Watson batteries (Canon was out of stock), and I've not tried Manfrotto batteries yet.  

Going to try the AngelBird CFExpress cards and ProGrade for the XD Cards.  I've always used SanDisk so going to try something else.  Both are highly rated.

I also contacted EasyCover in the Netherlands and my contact there has said they do not plan to make a skin for the R5C.  Was hoping for this, but am more excited about a new body.  Haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.  I have a quick business trip and wanted to be back for the arrival.  Plan to wait a week.  If nothing glaring is reported, I will finally move to mirrorless.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

131 REPLIES 131

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Ron,

I did read your posts in regards to the Audio menus and your findings.  I'll submit feedback later this week.  I am in full agreement with you.  If you are using an external mic, channels 1+2, you should be able to defeat channels 3+4 (internal mic).  There just isn't a need to capture audio on channels one does not intend to use.  I'll be raising this with support for sure.  

I also intend to ask why wireless (which is available in photo mode) isn't available in Cine OS mode.  Still however, the camera is a awesome tool, packed with features (like no other).  Oh ya, and while I'm on that, have you noticed the selector wheel and set button are "alive" in photo mode and completely dead in Cine OS mode.  I mean we don't need it for shutter speed since Shutter Angle is available here, but what about aperture? 

I see myself using this camera very differently than how I viewed photography before.  In a good way.  I have always been stills photo-centric.  I knew the Cine OS side was going to open doors for me and also how I would use this camera.  I haven't even scratched the surface there.  Am also 99% convinced the meike variable ND RF to EF adapter is in my future.  Its so much cheaper than the Canon equivalent and comes with a clear filter.  For video and this camera, it really seems like a no brainer.  You guys really sold me on the ND thing for video and DR.  I bought the control ring a few months ago, so may have both.  I learned a long time ago however, that you can have too much gear/stuff.  It was then that I dumped a bunch of my APS-C glass, moved to full frame and bought all L or higher end Art glass with no significant overlap in FL's.  Best decision I ever made.  I need to see how the Sigma's perform on the R5C.  The RF 24~70 is on my roadmap either way due to your feedback as well. 

I'm going to go full speed a head and plan to sell my DSLR now.  I may keep the 16~35 since its so nice.  This probably won't be my last body, but hopefully the RF mount will out live me.

Hope you are having a nice week.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I bought a Sigma 100-400mm OSS lens (about $800) and it works beautifully with the R5C. Nice and sharp. And lovin’ those 45Mpixels for stills. You can zoom in so much and it’s still sharp. 

Hi Rick,

We really need to barrage Canon with complaints about the audio. 

As for the Meike EF-RF adapter, I'd read on the DPReview R5 forum that there have been some issues with that adapter not making a proper connection with the R5, and since it is the same lens mount as the R5c, well, you can see where I'm going with this.  The Canon adapter may be more costly, but probably more reliable.  I hadn't been aware of the inability of the R5c to go wireless ... good find.  Are you referring to wireless audio or WiFi, Bluetooth, as I use neither.  But wireless audio can be accomplished via the Tascam adapter.

I own the Canon EF16-35mm IS F/4 lens, and it is a keeper. I have used it on my C300 but have yet to try it on the R5c.  My conversation with Sigma tech support had indicated that their EF lenses do AF in video mode on the R5c, as opposed to Tamron's G2 series lenses which do not.

I totally agree about having too much gear.  I am in that category at the moment.  I still have a Leica M8, a few Sony A7r models, Panasonic S1h and S1r, none of which gets much if any use. And then there is the entire series of Fuji GFX(GFX50s, GFX50r, GFX100, GFX100s) cameras sitting on a shelf that are being used, but only occasionally. Add to that a bevy of high-end FF video cameras, my C300 MK III, and now the R5c. Yes, I could open my own rental house.  I never found selling gear to be an equitable endeavor, so I have kept many cameras, but over the years I have owned just about everything that had been available and in the old days had been able to effectively trade them.  But with today's tendency towards builtin obsolescence, trades are less feasible.

Regards,

Ron

@sfogel2 wrote:

I bought a Sigma 100-400mm OSS lens (about $800) and it works beautifully with the R5C. Nice and sharp. And lovin’ those 45Mpixels for stills. You can zoom in so much and it’s still sharp. 

@sfogel2.  I have no doubt.  I have the 150~600 C with 1.4x tele.  I've never used the converter.  Lens has some serious reach.

If you can help, wobbleman99 and I are hoping to get some traction behind a feature request (audio issue outlined above)  Ability to defeat channels 3+4 (internal mic) when using an external mic.  All kinds of stuff could be captured besides the actual audio.  If you have the time and want to help, please provide feedback to Canon.  

Ron, just to confirm, is this where you left feedback?

On the support portal?

shadowsports_0-1654614515946.png

I do see myself continuing with Sigma lenses also.  They have all served me well.  My experience with selling older gear has been different.  Favorable for the most part.  It does require patience and a willingness to deal with low ballers on occasion.  I've had a few repeat customers too.  They often come back after realizing they just got gear which I meticulously maintain.  People often don't want to pay top dollar for A/A+ gear, but once they see it, they are always happy. 

Camera is in my hands now.  Remarkable its only 5gr heavier than my 6D2.  Not quite as tall and just a little deeper due to the fan.  Work this week has been a bear (only Tuesday) and I am out of town this weekend for business.  I think I might have a breather on Thursday morning.  Weather last week...  sunny everyday 78*.  This week foggy and cold 65*.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I’ve already spoken to Canon support about the Tascam audio adapter. There’s a previous thread about this. The whole audio page is dimmed when it’s attached. I had to program a button to show the audio status. 

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

The selector wheel does work to change aperture in video mode.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but further research has led me to believe that Canon may have designed the audio page of the R5c to conform with their recently released Stereo microphone, the DM-E1D.  The mic has a menu button that allegedly brings up the audio page for various adjustments and requires no external power source.  While B&H and Adorama show it as backordered, the Canon store shows it to be in stock, and while I already have the Rode NTG5 and Tascam adapter, I have placed an order. I will post followup info if and when it arrives.  

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

Yes, that is the 'feedback' option that support had suggested that we use.

Hopefully, you will get to use the camera this week, but I am familiar with the Bay Area's fog.  That said, I've captured somer really interesting images in the fog.

Regards,

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the correction.  I'm going to check out the mic too. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

sfogel2
Contributor

I’ve been having fun buying a bunch of Smallrig accessories to set up a camera cage with handle and attachments for an Atomos Shinobi monitor. Just bought a setup with 15mm rails and a lens support and matte box. Smallrig stuff is cheap and very good. He who dies with the most toys wins. 

Greetings,

I've decided on the 3890 or 3981 kit for myself.  This is R5C specific and comes with an extended base plate (optional install), but the cage itself is Black Mamba style with a few updates and additional padding.  I was happy for this as putting a $4.5k body into a metal holder wasn't appealing.  It supports rails too for versatility.  At this point, I need to get some time with this thing under my belt. 

@sfogel2, my understanding of the Tascam (canon approved accessory) is that it still doesn't allow you to defeat the internal mic (channels 3+4) when connected and only using 2 channels.  If so, its an oversight and certainly an option I would want to have.  Is it a dealbreaker, no, but an "off" option would be nice.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements