Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Ordering The R5C?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Anyone else considering?  The R5C was not the road I anticipated taking, but I'm tired of waiting and since this body doesn't overheat, I am more confident about it over the standard R5.      

Although I am a stills shooter, the Cinema EOS side of the body is intriguing.  Its so much smaller than a C70.  I'm not serious enough about video that I'd miss Clog2.  The body has 16 14 stops so plenty of DR for my use.  Its also not limited to Super35 or 16 (which isn't so much a limitation), but Canon has really stepped up here.  I don't care about ibis.  All of my lenses except 1 are IS and the body has digital IS built in.  I have purchased a bunch of accessories.  Control Ring Adapter, 2 512GB CF ExpressB, 2 128GB UHSII, 2x Watson batteries (Canon was out of stock), and I've not tried Manfrotto batteries yet.  

Going to try the AngelBird CFExpress cards and ProGrade for the XD Cards.  I've always used SanDisk so going to try something else.  Both are highly rated.

I also contacted EasyCover in the Netherlands and my contact there has said they do not plan to make a skin for the R5C.  Was hoping for this, but am more excited about a new body.  Haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.  I have a quick business trip and wanted to be back for the arrival.  Plan to wait a week.  If nothing glaring is reported, I will finally move to mirrorless.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

131 REPLIES 131

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

Too bad you will not have your R5c for the Hawaii trip, but as an aside, some of the smaller retailers seem to have one or two in stock, so you might want to make some phone calls. 

The Canon EF-RF variable ND adapter does not have click stops either, it is continuously variable, so the Meike sounds interesting.

I have been enjoying the R5c, and recently have spent more time with it than my C300 MK III.  B&H has come through and has sent me 2 Canon LP-E6NH batteries, so I suspect that Canon's supply chain is improving.

I'm fairly certain that you will love the camera—have a great trip.

Regards,

Ron

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Guys.  I have $5,700 earmarked for the R5C acquisition.  $1K in at the moment.  Have cards, batteries, adapter.  Going to buy the body from B&H.  Have always purchased from Canon, B&H or Digital Goja (in FL).  Always stellar experiences. 

I know I'm going to love it.  I'm bothered I can't provide my own experience to these conversations yet, but I will.  Do watch this vid if you get a chance.  It has some decent under the hood commentary.  He also went deeper into the camera's DR in comparison to the R5.

I also agree with both of your opinions regarding the overall cinematic experience you get with a dedicated cine camera over mirrorless.  It's true, there are no real words to describe it.  Visually or perception.  Again, I spent more time watching footage from several Canon body's and also the RED Komodo.  Each has a feature set of strengths and weaknesses.  I also confirmed what Ron had said about XF-AVC only being available in 4K modes.               

G Undone

Next up for me.  DaVinci Resolve.  I have a lot of reading to do on color grading.  The in body stuff included on the R5C is amazing.  Will also be taking an inventory of gear I plan to part with and researching which RF lens I'll go with first.  I suspect it might be the same as Ron since it offers a high degree of versatility in so many shooting scenarios

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link.  The video was interesting, and covered many of the highlights of the R5c. Of interest to note is the fact that on one screen shot he showed the audio menus that were grayed out on his camera as well.  I"d called Canon Tech Support today about that very issue and spent more than an hour on the telephone with the techie.  He could not figure it out and said that he would get back to me on Tuesday. But it may be that those menus only become active when a microphone is plugged into the camera's 3.5 mm input jack, and Tech support suspected that might be true as well.  Other than that, the camera is great.

Addendum:  When addressing the audio menus, the manual references the Canon DM-E1D Directional Stereo Microphone that slides onto the multifunction hot shoe.  I have a feeling that the menus might be microphone specific, and that attaching the aforementioned mic might serve to make those menus functional.  It is backordered everywhere, so there is no way to test my theory at the present time.

Regards

Ron

John_SD
Whiz

@shadowsports wrote:

Plan to wait a week.  If nothing glaring is reported, I will finally move to mirrorless.

Congrats on the move. For me there has bee no looking back and I am just a lowly RP owner. I thought I would struggle to adapt to the EVF, but no. I love it and it has exceeded my initial limited expectations. You mentioned a concern about battery life in a later post. That is a valid concern with mirrorless. I mitigate that issue by switching  the camera off between shots/shooting and it helps immensely with battery life. I also carry a spare. You have a far greater interest in video than you're admitting, so I think the substantial increase in price over the R5 will be worth it to you. Enjoy the camera and I'll be looking forward to your thoughts regarding it. 

Hi John,

I've been using the R5c for the past month and have grown to enjoy it. I'd originally purchased it as an intended 'B' Cam for my C300 MK III, but I am embarrassed to admit that the MK III has not been used for the past 3-4 weeks since the arrival of the R5c, but I expect that dynamic will change. As for the battery life, I have the battery grip permanently attached to the R5c, and that does help some but, if I anticipate a long shoot I carry a USB-C PD power supply that can carry me through the day, so there are solutions.

One thing to be aware of, is that 8K clips are not the easiest to edit in post, even with my maxed out 2019 Mac Pro Tower, and I have had to resort to the creation of proxies to overcome that issue, but it is not as big a deal as one might assume.

Regards,

Ron

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good Morning,

Have returned from Kauai and am back to work.  The trip was relaxing, senic and enjoyable.  We didn't get to see as much of the island as we wanted, but I did visit the property where Jurassic Park and about 87 other movies were filmed.  We were on ATV's and the staff recommended that I not bring my camera.  Only a phone, which I did.  At the end of the day, I was glad I did. I looked like I had been sprayed with a mud canon after the excursion.  We had a full face gater on with goggle and helmets.  I had my ears covered too.  It took 2 days to get the dust out of my ears.  Multiple showers, pool, steam shower and 20 Q-tips...  and dirt was still present.  The staff's advice to leave my camera was a good one.  I have a great LowenPro sling bag, but even it wouldn't be a match.  The red dust was like playa dirt, and I already know why car rental companies don't let you take their vehicles to places like burning man. You're stuff is never the same.

OK, so the status of the R5C on B&H's site has changed from Backordered to New Item Coming Soon.  I think we're closer.  The is the same thing it showed before the first round shipped in April.  I also tried ordering this hot shoe protector which will ship later this month.  There are two models...  for R series cameras.  Canon's site has them listed for Pre-Order, but there I was not able to complete the transaction after adding it to my cart.  Kept saying "No stock".       

shadowsports_0-1654090679935.png

The SC1 fits the R3

shadowsports_1-1654091233240.png

Even if I put a SmallRig cage on the body, I think the cover (which used to come with DSLRs) will be good protection.  Or...  might be overkill as well.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Sounds like your trip had been wonderful.

I would guess that your camera will arrive soon.  The R5c comes with a hot shoe protector, and there is a 3rd party protector on the market that includes a bubble level on its surface.  But it appears that the audio menu can be engaged by inserting a 3.5mm trs mic plugged directly into the camera's port.  However, it further appears that the camera's audio menu only applies to an external mic, and not the internal mic.  Therefore, at the current time, there is apparently no way to either adjust the internal mic or defeat it, and that is a major omission on the part of Canon, and takes the audio side of the camera out of the professional realm.  I don't know if this had been intentional hobbling or an oversight, but since Canon has claimed that the video OS is a modification of that contained in the C70, it is suspiciously intentional.  That said, I will continue to do what I have been doing, and that is, delete tracks 3&4—the internal mic's audio tracks—in post. 

I gotta tell you, I don't think anyone in "the professional realm" will be using the built-in mic.  Any built-in mic is going to produce cheesy audio, and won't be good for much more than reference audio.  Auto level control is fine for that.  If you want decent audio, on any camera, an external mic is the way to go.

I agree 100%, and that is why Canon should address the issue with a firmware update that allows the internal mic to be turned off either manually, or when the camera senses the presence of an external mic.  My C300 MK III allows one to defeat the internal mic, and I would guess that the C70 does as well.  But given Canon's tendency to hobble certain features on their various cameras, this issue may have been intentional.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Rob for the heads up.  I'll cancel the shoe protector.  I was very surprised when I saw it for sale and puzzled why it wouldn't have been included...  so I'm happy it is. 

I would also believe the mic issue might be addressed in the future FW update.  I understand not allowing you to disable it on its own, but for sure if an external mic is connected.  I wonder if it has something to do with the ability to record a separate audio track in some of the recording modes?

I guess if enough people make noise about it, they might consider it.  I'll certainly raise it as a feature request when I get mine.    

Rick

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements