Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma PRO-100 Paper Moving Haltingly in Small Steps. Not Moving Steadily

papertape
Contributor

Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Pixma PRO-100
Wifi connection. The wireless router is running at 2.4 GHz.
Edit 31 May 2024: Also with USB -- I think USB2, though I plugged into a USB3 connector.
My Pixma PRO-100 prints (color) in short steps. It does not move the paper steadily.
It moves the paper in steps of about 1/8" and pauses for a fraction of a second.
Is that normal?

7 REPLIES 7

canonsky
Enthusiast

Hi.  I had this problem and solved it by connecting the printer directly to the computer. The wireless link just wasn't strong enough, although sometimes the connection would be fine.  No trouble since connecting to my desktop/laptop.

Thanks!

I found a couple of YouTube videos that showed the printer running very briefly.  It was stepping.  But the videos didn't say how the printer was connected.  (I'm still hunting.)

How did you connect directly  - with USB or Ethernet?

canonsky
Enthusiast

I connected via USB directly to my desktop; and connected the same way to my laptop.

papertape
Contributor

Using the Setup disc from 2019, I managed to add another pro-100 printer connected with USB.
The printer stutters on that connection, also.
I printed a 5x5 "standard" quality print, and a 13x19 "high" quality print.  They each stuttered.
Aside: The usb printer keeps the blue wifi lamp lit.   After 15 minutes of trying to get it to go out, I decided to ignore it, and print.  Worked fine. (Wifi router's radio was off.)

canonsky
Enthusiast

From your Aside, I guess the printer is working now -- no more stuttering or hesitation. If it starts acting badly again, I suggest you give Canon a call.  

canonsky
Enthusiast

I don't have a Windows machine so I can't really help with your connections.  In your place I would certainly call Canon. The customer care number I have is 866.886.1901.

papertape
Contributor

I connected with ethernet, which produced the same stepping paper motion as did wifi and USB.
But common sense has finally beaten its way into my brain with this question: Does not the paper have to stop while the machine sprays ink?
It seems obvious that if the paper moves smoothly, it is a moving target, which interferes with placing the ink droplets precisely.
I was misled, because the paper jumps in steps that appear to be almost 1/8". If printing 500 DPI, I'd expect it to jump 1/500".
And my laser printer moves paper at what looks like a steady clip. Maybe that is an illusion.

Announcements