cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B&W Printing on the Pro-100

Ken_k
Contributor

I just received my Pro-100 and am trying to get a feel for printing with it.  A couple of questions if I may:

I have a bunch of EpsonPremium Glossy Photo Paper left from my last printer.  What would be an appropriate profile to use with this printer and paper combination while I'm learning ?

I printed a color image that turned out great.  I tried a B&W and the tones looked muted and muddy.  I'm printing from Lightroom 4 on a Mac.  Is there anything special when printing B&W compared to color?

In the Color Matching dialog,  both options (ColorSync & Canon Color Matching) are disabled.   How do I select one or the other?

Thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is an observation, more than a published specification, but the Pro-100 does not use only the three 'black' cartridges to print B&W.

It mixes chroma from the color cartridges so the B&W prints can come out tinted to a very small degree. Generally a warn tone. But sometimes greenish.

In LR make sure you are selecting a true black preset or use software that is not leaving some tint in your conversion. Also make sure your monitor is calibrated to look exactly what the printer is printing. Otherwise you are just guessing what the result will be. At the very least make sure your gamma, brightness and contrast are the same. Remember it is easier to adjust your monitor than the printer.

As to what profile, use "Other".

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs, thanks for the feedback.  Could you please elaborate on "selecting a true black preset or use software that is not leaving some tint in your conversion".

I did the B&W conversion in Nik Silver Efex Pro II and am using a calibrated monitor.

"As to what profile, use "Other".  Clicking on "other" in LR brings up the dialog of all the profiles installed.  Which one do I select?

Thanks again for your help.

Could you please elaborate on "selecting a true black preset or use software that is not leaving some tint in your conversion".

I did the B&W conversion in Nik Silver Efex Pro II and am using a calibrated monitor.

"As to what profile, use "Other".  Clicking on "other" in LR brings up the dialog of all the profiles installed.  Which one do I select?

OK, but I am going to be of little help on most of those questions as I don't, or ever have, used the paper you are using.

In the "Other" section there should be some close match.

I also do not use Nik Silver Efex Pro II, either. Sorry. Smiley Sad I use CS6 and LR5.2 exclusively. I usually do B&W conversions in CS6 since it allows you to adjust for each color in the conversion. Maybe your software does also.

You must remember there is no way to get 256 shades of gray with a black, a gray and a light gray ink cartridge. Therefore, Canon engineers mix some of the color cartridges in with it. The only option is to space the individual dots of ink farther apart and that can just be done so far. You have to use the color inks along with it.

Hope this little tid-bit helps you out in understanding how B&W works.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements