cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR8520 Cannot be found by any device

GetterOhNo
Apprentice

We have a canon TR8520 Printer. It has always been tempermental, to put it politely, and only worked wirelessly on a few devices. However we just changed our router, and while the Name and Password did not change, the printer no longer works on any device. I reconnected it to the wifi and it has 100% signal strength but when I try to find it on any device, it does not appear. Even when I search by IP address it does not exist, despite the router settings show the printer is successfully connected to the wifi. The device's OS doesnt seem to be a contributing factor as neither Android or Apple phones can find it, nor can Windows 10 or 8.1. I have tried to run the setup again ,but that cannot find it either so can't do anything. Neither has reseting all settings on the printer as I still can't find it. 

Nothing online has helped as everything is either cookie cutter responses or issues connect the printer to the wifi and not the printer to the computer.  If anyone has a way to fix this I am all ears.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Maybe this will help.  

Connect the printer to the wi-fi

Connect the windows 10 PC to the wi-fi

What is the IP of the printer?

What is the IP of the windows PC?

Windows PC

Start menu button

Type cmd, select the command prompt and press enter

Command prompt opens 

at the prompt type >ping and the IP of the printer

Exmple

One of my printers uses 192.168.1.99 

so

C:\Users\ItAdmin>ping 192.168.1.99

Press enter

Example of printer responding to ping command

Pinging 192.168.1.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=255

Example of PC cannot communicate with printer:

Reply from 192.168.1.102: Destination host unreachable.

What can keep the computer from communicating with the printer

-Incorrectly configured network or router

-Windows firewall 

-3rd party antivirus or internet security suite

Any additional information you want to provide about your network..  brand of router, model, etc. migh help.  Seems odd that no devices can communicate with the printer.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

We have an Xfinity xFi 3rd Generation gateway, Model CGM4331COM. The Wi-Fi is 2.4 GHz with a WPA2-PSK (AES) security mode. 

The printer is currently assigned to a Standard TCP/IP port and when I pinged it, I got:

(163 is the printer, 76 is my Pc.)

C:\Windows\system32>ping 10.0.0.163

Pinging 10.0.0.163 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.0.76: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.163:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

When I ran the setup, it did mention it needed to disable a block from the firewall, though I hope the setup would successfully do that.

Greetings,

Some progress thank you.  

Do you have a 3rd party antivirus program installed?

Are you using another router, extender or mesh system in conjuunction with the xFinity gateway?

Next step - Temporarily disable the windows firewall.

Start menu > type Windows Defender Firewall

When this opens, look on the left hand side of the screen (Nav Pane) , click turn off windows defender firewall.

Turn off for public and private networks.  

Retest ping.

You can also try entering the printer's IP into your web browser.

https://10.0.0.163

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi GetterOhNo,

Please turn your PIXMA TR8520 off.
Next, please disconnect the power cord to your router.
Wait 2 minutes and then reconnect the power cord to your router.
Once your router is back online, please turn your PIXMA TR8520 back on and attempt to print.

Routers connect all of the devices that you have together and also provide access to the internet.  To keep each device unique, the router will assign each device an IP address.  The device and it's IP address are saved in the router in what is called a "routing table".  Destination host unreachable means that the router knows there is a device connected with that IP address, but does not know how to send data to it.  That is caused by an issue with the routing table not being updated.  Typically, turning off the printer, unplugging the router, reconnecting the router and turning the printer back on resolves this issue, as the routing table will refresh.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements