cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8700 wont get valid IP

Gaz2387
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Canon IP8700 that wont obtain an IP address from my router.

Virgin Hub 3.0 Router. 

Tried via WPS and via USB.

The Printer sees the network, connects - but then only gets a 169 address 

When i check on the router page - it shows connected with a valid 192 address.

I cannot understand. 

I have reset the network on 8700, i have tried changing wireless to WPA2 only (usually runs dual WPA/WPA2) 

Router operates both 2.4 and 5ghz - all other devices on 5ghz - but can't see why that would affect. 

any thoughts? 

I've tried manually setting IP on Printer to no avail.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Virgin Hub:

Is the wireless broadcast using (SMART Connect or similiar) one SSID for both broadcasts?

If so, disable and use a different SSID name for each network.  The printer can only connect to a 2.4Ghz network.

Let us know if this helps. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks! 

I should have mentioned, i tried that - so my 5Ghz is named differently - i think i read that on this forum somewhere. 

Greetings,

Thanks for confirming you have a separate 2.4Ghz network for the printer to connect to.

Is the printer new or previously owned?

Did it work previously?

If new and connecting for the first time:

http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/setup_ip8720_win.pdf

If used before and reconnecting to a wireless network:

http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/router_change_iP8720_win.pdf

Does your windows OS detect that something is connected to USB when the device is connected and powered on?

Does the software "see" or detect the printer's presence at all during the installation process. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements