cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG7720 - error message: "MP drivers could not be installed" Windows 7, wireless router

wingerjk99
Apprentice

My OS is Windows 7, Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit.  My printer installation goes smoothly until it comes time to download the drivers.  That's when the error message "MP drivers could not be installed."  I have a wireless router.  I used Canon's download software from their website. The software recognized my printer wirelessly.  I went the Windows route too, going to the Control Panel to "Add a Printer."  Here I received the error code of "0x00000105."

I tried the direct USB method but that didn't work either.  Any fixes or insights for my problem?  Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.  I am at my wits end. 

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi wingerjk99,

If you have any antivirus, firewall or anti-spyware programs installed on your computer, please temporarily disable them and then attempt to reinstall the printer.  Sometimes these programs can prevent the successful installation of the printer.  Once the printer is installed successfully, you can re-enable the protection software.  

If you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please call 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays) for further assistance.  A Canon technical support representative will be happy to help.  There is no charge for this call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have Norton anti-virus software installed on my computer.  I disabled "Smart Firewall" and "Auto-Protect" but this did not help.  I uninstalled the Norton software and was then able to successfully install the printer.  Afterwards, I contacted Norton to re-install the anti-virus software.  Conclusion:  the Norton software must have a "port block" somewhere inside of it and this prevents the MP drivers from being downloaded even though the firewall functions have been disabled..

rcraighubbard
Apprentice

This reply is in reference to the error message "MP drivers could not be installed" Windows 7.  I just bought a Canon TS6020 and spent many hours last night trying to install the MP printer drivers. As others had noted, the installation went well unitl the point when the MP drivers were being installed. (this installation was done via the CD provided with the printer) then I would always get an error stating that the "MP drivers could not be installed.".

I'll jump to the bottom line.....  even though the installation disk/program will prompt you (with a check-box) to disable your firewall to proceed with the MP driver installation, that is not the solution and the installation will still fail.

I did 2 things:

1) went to the windows control panel and manually disabled the windows firewall for both private and public netowks.

2) I run Webroot anti-virus so I opened it and turned off the firewall there as well.

Now I ran the printer installation CD again and it completed the full installation without a single error !!  The full features of the printer now work and I'm a happy camper.

So, simple fix, hope this helps other folks. Oh, be sure to turn the windows firewall and anti-virus firewall back on after you complete your installation.

Announcements