cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon camera Power Shot S2 IS / PC 1130 not working

williampeck1958
Enthusiast

IMAG1006[1].jpgCanon Power Shot S2 IS (PC 1130) not working . . . 

All the menus work ok, but the screen is black, and looking through the lens it's black (lens cover is off).

Wheel setting is "Auto". When I click timer, the light blinks faster and faster, and seems to take a picture, but I don't see anything. Pictures are also being recorded today, but it fails when attempting to view them on the PC, 

With the wheel is changed to movie camera and I press record, it seems to be recording, but screen is black. Files are being recorded on the memory card, but when playing them on my PC, there's an error.

In it's resting state, there's a small hand with a "W" on top of it - is this "wait" ?

any ideas ?

IMAG1004[1].jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fixed ! crazy solution, but I'm good to go.

Found the solution here, which is:

set the camera in TV mode,

set the shutter at 15 sec,

click to take a picture

and during that 15 secs (like, after 7 seconds) open the battery cover. After the batteries are inserted again, the camera works and I can take pictures.

original solution

worked for me !

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

John_
Authority

There isn't any information on the W symbol you mentioned. It could mean Wait or Writing (to memorycard)

Here is what I would do:

Try a different memory card and or try reformatting that one in the camera

Do a Reset All or Reset to Defaults thru the Setting menu

Remove the batteries and hold the power switch on for at least 45 seconds

If all else fails these can be found in working condition on auction sites. I had an S5 that failed and I liked the camera and had many Canon accessories for it so I bought a used one for $40 in good condition. It still works after 2 years

John,

ok, thank you, I'll give those suggestions a try and let you know.

tried all options with no luck.

When I tried to re-set to "default settings", I said ok and then it said "busy" and also the little hand popping up. So something is "busy" and I can't get it unlocked.

Yes so I think your camera has reached its lifetime...time to shop !

fixed ! crazy solution, but I'm good to go.

Found the solution here, which is:

set the camera in TV mode,

set the shutter at 15 sec,

click to take a picture

and during that 15 secs (like, after 7 seconds) open the battery cover. After the batteries are inserted again, the camera works and I can take pictures.

original solution

worked for me !

lol wow thas great!!

go figure that one out!!

some kind of firmware/software hangup that was cleared by doing that

yes, I'm tickled, thanks for weighing in.

From the original solution, it has something to do with the shutter being stiff, from disuse or heat. Regardless, I have a working camera again at $0 cost !

How do you change shutter speed?

You can change the shutter speed using the left and right arrows once the camera is in TV mode. Follow these steps:

1. Power on the camera in shooting mode.
  2. Turn the mode dial to "Tv".
  3. Observe the shutter speed number located here:
    shutterspeed.png
  4. The number is likely a fraction (eg, 1/25) or a number less than 15. Press the left arrow on your camera until you  into start climbing whole numbers. The highest speed available is 15" (the " stands for seconds).

When you get the camera working again, don't forget to confirm that the shutter speed has reverted to its old setting.

Announcements