cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powershot n won't power on

ennisa
Apprentice

Hi there, just got a powershot n this morning. popped in the battery and turned it on. Was setting the time when it went dead. The lense is still extended and it won't power back on. I am currently charging the battery in the camera. it has been charging for over and hour (charging light is orange) and when i pull out the power it still will not power on. 

I have tried holding down various buttons while putting the battery in and out but that has not worked. Is there a way to reset it? I don't see any kind of pin reset hole etc...

Thank you.

Alan

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you put the battery back on the charger, and let it remain there until the orange light turns green, which means that the battery is fully charged.  You should always give a new battery an initial full charge.  It may take a couple of hours, or more, to complete charging a new battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizle, thank you, yep i'm going to leave it to charge overnight and see how we get on.

Thanks for yor reply

It's charged all night and the battery light is still orange. I put a multimemter on the battery with a resistor for some load and I'm getting 3.6v so that looks to me like the battery is actually fully charged.

I have ordered a charger and a couple of spare batteries. They were ordered while I was waiting for the camera to arrive so they shoud be here middle of next week. I'm wondering if given that this  camera has been sitting in it's box, possibly since 2013, i'm wondering if the battery is just gone bad.

any ideas?

thank you.

Alan

Dublin/Ireland

@ennisa wrote:

It's charged all night and the battery light is still orange. I put a multimemter on the battery with a resistor for some load and I'm getting 3.6v so that looks to me like the battery is actually fully charged.

I have ordered a charger and a couple of spare batteries. They were ordered while I was waiting for the camera to arrive so they shoud be here middle of next week. I'm wondering if given that this  camera has been sitting in it's box, possibly since 2013, i'm wondering if the battery is just gone bad.

any ideas?

thank you.

Alan

Dublin/Ireland

One sure fire way to ruin a new battery is to try to use it before it recieves an initial full charge.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is possible either your battery or charger are defective and I would suggest you contact the seller and start a problem report just in case there is something wrong internal with the camera itself. At the very least get a new battery or charger from the seller once you determine which it is. And having a spare battery and charger is never a bad idea.

3.6V sounds right however I'm not sure how accurately you can duplicate the load or monitor it with a resistor and DVM meter.

These cameras now a days are like mini computers when they turn on and boot up which is when the instantaneous drain on the battery is the highest.

I would have done the same thing in your case in hopes its the battery or charger plus contact the seller.

John, thank  you.

Your very welcome

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements