cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating beyond Canon Powershot SX50

AnthonySpace
Apprentice

Hello all. 

Please bear with me as I'm not a photographer. I have the Canon Powershot SX50 and it's been a wonderful bridge camera for the last 11 years, capturing family events, trips and space coverage. 

I'm unofficially a "space reporter" for the TV news station where I work at and I have used the Canon Powershot SX50 to capture photos and videos of the moon, solar and lunar eclipses and rocket launches at the Kennedy Space Center. 

When I'm at the Kennedy Space Center press site, I'm about 3.5 to 4.5 miles away from a launch pad (depending on the location of the launch pad and sometimes I'm about 15 miles away from the launch pad.) While I have always been pleased with the quality of my photos and videos, I would like to get an upgrade so I can take better quality videos and photos but without breaking the bank either. 

To give you a better understanding of what the quality is like of my current photos and videos are (depending on the weather conditions and time of day,) here is a video and photo of the Crew-5 launch from the press site.

As many know, the SX50 has 50x Optical Zoom lens and if you click on the link, you will see what I get. But I am looking for clearer, crisper photos and video. I was looking at the Canon Powershot SX70, which has a 65x Optical Zoom, but I'm wondering if it's the type of quality I'm looking for or would another Canon be better?

Because of what I do and what I carry around, I'm not really looking for a camera where I have to attach a lot of lenses (at least for now) and I'm just really happy with my Canon Powershot SX50 with its digital zoom (I love that feature), so I'm just looking for a camera that has all the same features, but produces better quality photos and videos. 

Thanks for the help!

0 REPLIES 0
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements