cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX 620 Photo Transfers Using Public Wi Fi

tomparks
Apprentice

I am attempting to find a way to back up my photos when away from home in the event the camera is lost or stolen or dropped in the ocean, for example. I would like to copy the photos to Google Photos before any such event happens.

It took me a while but I have learned how to use image.canon and set up the wi fi on the sx620 to transfer photos to my call phone and Google Photos when I am at home using my home wi fi. However, when I tested this out at a public wi fi (McDonalds and Starbucks) my test failed. One possible block may be that many/most public wi fi locations such as airports, etc. require one to register and accept their terms, even if no password is needed. This action does not seem possible with the SX 620.

The transfer ability at home is of limited value to me as I can easily plug the camera memory chip into my computer to back up the photos. I have been doing it this way for years.

If there is a way to back up the camera, preferably to Google Photos, while traveling, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help the Community can give me.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.  Regards, Tom Parks, Sacramento, CA

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Why are you using your phone for this via open Wi-Fi networks?  Unsecured Wi-Fi networks are extremely risky to use under any circumstances, especially in these times of cyber aggression.  I have worked in that field and I know what I'm talking about.

Conventional wisdom, including for professionals in the field, is to copy files off a camera to a computer and from there to backup drives.  You don't have to download anything via an open connection.   If you don't have a means to do that, then go to a secure internet café and do a transfer to your website from there.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you Trevor, for taking the time to reply.

I now see that I was not totally clear with my question.

I would like to be able to transfer my sx620 photos directly from the camera to the Google Photos cloud. I am able to do this at home using my home wi fi; however, it does not work in a McDonalds/ Starbucks type public setting.

I am not concerned about security as these are just photos of my travels which would be of no interest to others.

Any other suggestions will be welcome.

Regards, Tom Parks

Tom, with all due respect, in using public networks you are putting yourself at risk for having malware transferred to your computer as part of the acceptance process.  This may not be done by the host, but their public setting can be infected with spyware that then embeds itself on you device and happily uses your cell data to send your logons to the mal-intended.  One of my ex-colleagues has been helping a business with exactly that issue only a few weeks ago.  If you are ok with that risk, good luck to you.

Most likely Starbuck and McDonalds block that kind of activity in part for the reasons I mentioned and to limit the amount of download through certain ports that they may wish to use.  If you are travelling, your accommodation may offer such a service too.  As I said before, you can always go to an internet café and pay for the service.  As they say: "If it's free then you are the product."

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements