cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot A630; In Auto mode when "shoot" button is pressed half way green box does not appear

jackwhit
Apprentice

Powershot A630 in AUTO mode when "shoot" button is depressed half way the green box does not appear. The flash indicator shows and picture will shoot. All else operates normally, photo seems o.k. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your very welcome, Ok well if the camera is still under warranty I suggest you begin a repair request with Canon and give them a call. They might even know some obscure setting somewhere...oh have you tried doing a "reset all" of "reset to defaults" whichever it is called thru your settings menu ?

Even so it would be a good idea to get this problem on record with Canon

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

smack53
Mentor

I was under the impression that the A630 uses indicator lights to the right of the optical viewfinder, and not a green box. Did you ever have the green box before? The manual seems to only show indicator lights. The top indicator light is green when ready to shoot, blinking green when saving to the memory card. When using a flash, the indicator light will be orange. A blinking yellow light on the bottom blinks when the camera has difficulty focusing. I could not find any settings for a green box on the LCD though.

Steve M.

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I guess I didn't make the problem clear. When shooting in AUTO mode the shutter button is to be pressed down half way to allow the camera to focus. When focused a green box appears on the LCD to indicates the area the camera is focused upon. This "auto focus" box is intermittent on my camera although it takes pictures just fine. 

John_
Authority

The Auto Focus Frame is not available in Auto mode for the A630 you have to switch back to either P, TV,AV or M shooting modes as well as some others. Check your Advanced manual pg. 47

focus.PNG

Thanks for the reply, John. The page and procedure you suggest is, I believe, for selecting  the AF Frame. I am using the camera in AUTO mode as described in the Basic Camera User Guide, Pages 9 & 10. Page 10 Sect. 5 "Focus and shoot" Step 1 states, "Press the shutter button halfway to focus. .......Also, the AF frame appears in green on the LCD monitor at the point where the camera is focused."  The camera used to do this but now seems to be intermittent. I suppose this requires a repair shop although I was hoping it was a setting I could use to correct it. I will try to use the "Selecting an AF Frame" procedure to see is if acts different when a different AF Frame is set. Thanks for the info. 

Your very welcome, Ok well if the camera is still under warranty I suggest you begin a repair request with Canon and give them a call. They might even know some obscure setting somewhere...oh have you tried doing a "reset all" of "reset to defaults" whichever it is called thru your settings menu ?

Even so it would be a good idea to get this problem on record with Canon

Announcements