cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX720HS battery won't charge

bondoman
Apprentice

I have a Power Shot sx720hs camera, bought it in 2019. Believe it or not, I have used it since then and never needed to charge the battery, except when it was new. A week ago, it showed the battery getting low. Now, it's locked the memory card and won't take pics. Either I lost the wall charger, or it never came with one (can't remember), but I did have the cord to plug in to my computer. When I do plug it in, all I get is a solid orange light. No matter who or where I ask, I get no answers why it's not blinking, like it says it should be. Any help? Really don't wanna buy a battery if it doesn't need one.?

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

First, according to Canon's knowledge base, your camera cannot be charged by just any USB cable, and I would NOT recommend plugging one into a power source to try to do so.  See THIS Link for reference.  It seems you need a specific cable, specified on P148.

So, you will need to find, or source a new charger adapter to get the camera to work via the specified cable.  HERE is a link to the user manual that on P146.  The process is explained on P149.

If this resolves your issue, please mark this post as such so you will not continue to get lots of posts on the subject

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I've looked at the manual already. The charger for the wall is a 'box' and the battery fits into that after removing from the camera (charger unit doesn't take a cable, cable is only used if I charge it off my computer). I don't have that apparently. The usb cable I have is the one that came with the camera when it was purchased new. It may or may not be correct, since there are no markings on the cable to tell, and it was purchased in 2019, and since I lost the charger apparently, I suppose it's possible I might have slipped the wrong cable in the box (I had left everything that came with it new in the box), although I'm not sure why I would have done that. So, looks like I just gotta start throwing money at it? I do like the camera but don't like throwing money at anything..lol. 😉

'Throwing' money might be necessary if you want the camera, that you have invested in already, to work.  Good to know that details of what you have and have not when explaining your situation.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements