cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX40 HS can;t connect to pc

gregplx
Apprentice

My PowerShot sx40hs cannot connect to pc I have the right cords Pc windows 11 won't acknowledge it.

Any help? Just took pics of car show, now I can't get them off the camera.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Wi-Fi is slow. I suggest that you use a USB cable or a memory card reader. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Usb cable attached, still nothing from Windows 11.

What do you expect to happen?  Which Canon app do you expect to run?

Make sure that you have a USB data cable, not a power / charging cable.  Make sure the Wi-Fi mode isn’t active.  The camera does not know how to switch between wireless and USB on its own.

When you first connect the camera, Windows 11 should recognize it.  You should be able to read the memory card as if it were a memory stick.  If not, try a different USB port.  Do not use a USB port expander.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you attempting use the CameraWindow application for Windows 10?

Your camera is not officially supported on the Windows 11 platform.  Microsoft support for Windows 10 is scheduled to end October 15, 2025.

C67EFFD2-77E3-41A3-B2E9-947DDF6CB7FB.jpeg

normadel
Authority
Authority

C'mon, let's keep this simple.

Nobody mentioned WiFi. Gregplx says he has a cable. The SX40 HS DOES NOT HAVE WIFI.

The required cable is a USB A-Mini B. It need not be from Canon. It's a common cable available anywhere.

There is no such thing as a power-only/charging USB A-Mini B cable. It's MICRO-B cables that exist in power-only versions.

There isn't ANY software required to connect the SX40 HS to Windows 11 to have it show up as a drive and move photos to the computer. IF, that is, the cable is good, the USB (Digital) port on the camera is good, and the computer's USB-A port is good.

Try another USB cable. Try another port on the computer. Try the camera on another computer. See where the problem is.

Or use a card reader.

Announcements