cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot A590 IS memory card recommendations

avab16
Apprentice

Hi! I just got this camera for my birthday and since they are no longer being made I was coming here to ask if anyone else has one and what memory cards you buy? I was looking into it and saw not to get one that holds more than 32gb, and was wondering if the brand matters I was going to order the gigastone SDHC 32gb would be a good memory card

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Yes, you should not get memory cards in excess of 32GB and they should ONLY be full-size ones - cameras to not like the micro-SD cards and adapters.   I would suggest sticking to brands like Lexar, Sandisk, Transcend, PNY and Prograde.   I would avoid cheap deals on the web - get them from well-known and respected sources like B&H - there are a lot of counterfeit cards out there.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

Right about using only full-size SD cards, not micros.

A 32 GB SD card will hold THOUSANDS of photos. You don't want to put or store such huge numbers of photos on one card. And this old camera may even balk at 32 GB cards. Better to get multiple 4-8-16 GB cards and rotate them. 

B&H Photo has them: 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=sd%20cards&filters=fct_capacity_568%3A4gb%7C8gb%7C16gb

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Yes, you should not get memory cards in excess of 32GB and they should ONLY be full-size ones - cameras to not like the micro-SD cards and adapters.   I would suggest sticking to brands like Lexar, Sandisk, Transcend, PNY and Prograde.   I would avoid cheap deals on the web - get them from well-known and respected sources like B&H - there are a lot of counterfeit cards out there.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

normadel
Authority
Authority

Right about using only full-size SD cards, not micros.

A 32 GB SD card will hold THOUSANDS of photos. You don't want to put or store such huge numbers of photos on one card. And this old camera may even balk at 32 GB cards. Better to get multiple 4-8-16 GB cards and rotate them. 

B&H Photo has them: 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=sd%20cards&filters=fct_capacity_568%3A4gb%7C8gb%7C16gb

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz
click here to view the gallery
Announcements