cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD Screen - bad cable contact?

Conan
Apprentice

20140915_141000.jpgMy SX10IS started recently to have LCD problems that look like bad electrical contact. The LCD works but as I move/turn it to change orientation, at some point it switches to the viewfinder and I cannot switch back to the LCD. If I go back to the original position, it starts working again There seems to be a specific angle of the screen where the display switches to the viewfinder, which is always the same. I removed the cover of this mechanism, but I cannot see anything misplaced or loose. What drives me mad is that as long as this cover is removed, everything works fine. As soon as I put it back, the problem reappears. Any ideas? (Full size image)

2 REPLIES 2

Davy
Rising Star

I don't know the camera if its a swival screen or not, these types usualy use fine wires to connect to the camera, bending and twisting could easily fracture the wire or wires.

The ones that anfle up and down could be a flat ribbon cable, these could easily work lose from the  edge connector sockets.

I had a similar problem with my Power Shot A650 which is a swival screen, one of the wires was fractured.

Dave

This is a tilt/swivel screen rotating in two axes. There is a small cable with a protective sheathing that should prevent these problems. It looks fine to me, but could indeed have this problem. I'd like to avoid "official service" because usually this costs as much as a new camera.

Announcements