cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Updating Issue

Fordman
Apprentice

Hello,

I own a Powershot SX740HS point and shoot.  The camera has an issue in which I get an Err 60 and a once in awhile white bar on the bottom of the screen.  From what I can tell, this appears to be firmware related.  Now here is the fin part.

When I go into the set up sub menu in the Menu on the camera, I do not have a firmware version.  I also do not have anyway to update the firmware from this menu.  My best guess is the camera is on the original 1.0.0 firmware.  There is no utility I could use from my computer to update the firmware either.  Was this an early model issue for this camera?  How do you update the firmware on the SX740HS?

Thanks for the advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

****Nevermind it is a keypad command****  When I was reading the instructions I thought I had the camera set in P mode but it one selection below it.  Updating the Firmware as I type this out.  Looks like it is almost done too.  Human error on this one. Thank you.

I have downloaded the latest version of F/W. I loaded the firmware on a SD card for the camera.  The problem I am running into is the ability to run the firmware update within the menu function of the camera itself.  I do not have any firmware version listed nor an option to update the firmware.  It's like the firmware for the camera doesn't exist or an option to update.

Most of the time for myself, my line of work includes firmware updates for different functionalities.  Usually I am using a utility or a web portal to force a firmware update.  In some cases, I will load a USB stick with the firmware and the machine will take the update. 

The only thing I might be missing is the use of a key command to access the firmware section.  I have equipment in which you have to perform key pad commands to access the menu to push firmware on the machine.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Your camera model is only four years old, so it's not ancient.  I checked Canon site for firmware updates HERE and was interested to read the following statement:
"Firmware Version 1.0.2 incorporates the following fix:
1. Corrects a PTP communications vulnerability.
2. Corrects a vulnerability related to firmware update."

Were you aware of this?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi,

****Nevermind it is a keypad command****  When I was reading the instructions I thought I had the camera set in P mode but it one selection below it.  Updating the Firmware as I type this out.  Looks like it is almost done too.  Human error on this one. Thank you.

I have downloaded the latest version of F/W. I loaded the firmware on a SD card for the camera.  The problem I am running into is the ability to run the firmware update within the menu function of the camera itself.  I do not have any firmware version listed nor an option to update the firmware.  It's like the firmware for the camera doesn't exist or an option to update.

Most of the time for myself, my line of work includes firmware updates for different functionalities.  Usually I am using a utility or a web portal to force a firmware update.  In some cases, I will load a USB stick with the firmware and the machine will take the update. 

The only thing I might be missing is the use of a key command to access the firmware section.  I have equipment in which you have to perform key pad commands to access the menu to push firmware on the machine.  

Announcements