cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf8350cdn copies and scans have continuous streak/line when processing via document feeder.

dagdon
Apprentice

copies and scans have continuous streak/line when processing via document feeder. 

cleaning itb and cleaning feeder didn't solve it

need instructions how to disassemble the feeder to clean it.

3 REPLIES 3

Deborah
Enthusiast

Hi dagdon,

I can appreciate your frustration in trying to clear the line that's occurring and am glad to offer some help.  This can usually be easily resolved without disassembly.

If the line that is being produced is a vertical line (top to bottom) and occurring only when using the Automatic Document feeder (ADF), not when making a copy via the platen glass, the issue is commonly due to a small mark or debris on the scanning glass area that lines up underneath the white vertical ADF roller.  A small smudge on the platen glass can cause a "line" to be produced as every inch of the paper fed via the ADF passes over the area and is picked up by the scanner.

Although you have tried cleaning already, depending on what created the mark (Ex: magic marker, glue residue, etc.), you may have to clean the platen glass several times to clear the mark. The ADF roller is located on the left and underside of your lid. The scanning light sits in this area when using the ADF. 

You will want to carefully and fully clean the glass in the ADF scanning area. There can also be a strip of transparent plastic on which there can be a mark or smudge.  Look for scratches, tiny spots and marks of any sort. You can use a soft lint free cloth either dry, with a little soap and water or water to clean the glass and may have to scrub until it squeaks to remove certain types of marks.

NOTE: Please do not spray the cleaning solution on the glass.

Another way to ensure the mark is removed is to use a credit card by placing in on a angle and sliding it across the glass in one direction. You can then lift the credit card when reaching the end of the glass and return to the other side to slide it across again.

After cleaning the platen glass, run four to five blank/clean pages through to test it.

If the line still appears, please Contact Us  for further steps and assistance. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I did find the culprit debris that was causing the problem. 

It was a grain of dust/lint/debris that was lodged under that small plastic strip at left end of platen glass. 

By gently lifting up the edge of the plastic strip, then sliding the edge of a sheet of paper through the gap under that strip, I was able to dislodge the culprit. 

AND NOW ALL IS CLEAN!  YAY!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Dagdon

I had the same problem with my MX 882. I did clean with soapy water, sponge. I see a small black streak on the white metal strip that the feed paper passes over. That mark appears to be on the spot where the stream occurs.

I could not remove the black mark. used credit card used goo gone. I think it is damage that has removed the white paint.

I cleaned the glass using soapy water over and over many times and kept testing. 

Not sure why but the streak has slowly disappeared after about 10 copies or scans. Not sure I will ever understand what caused it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements