cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf634cdw Lost connection to scanner and "one shot" connection to printer

rbarusch
Apprentice

Hi--

I have a Canon mf634cdw.  Has been working great until a few days ago.

The first thing I noticed is that after one print job, nothing would print after that until I rebooted the printer.  Then another job would print but further printing kept requiring rebooting.

Now I have noticed I seem to be completely disconnected from the scanner.   When scanning from the mf634cdw has two possible results (both unsucessful) (a) it says "connect computer" (it used to connect fine) or (b) it finds the PC but after  select scanning and start, but no scanning activity and the scanner throws an error after about 30 seconds on the mf634cdw touch screen (nothing on the PC) .  When scanning from the Canon MF Scan Utility, it will wait (no activity at the scanner) and then give me the message "Error in scanner.  Follow instructions in online manual. Scanner driver will be terminated. Code 255,0,0"

Some details and what I have tried:

1.  Connecting from PC with Windows 11

2.  PC on same wifi network as mf634cdw.  I tried reconnecting the mf634cdw and reentering wifi password.  It shows connected to the wifi network but still problem. (Wifi is working quite well as it has throughout this.)

3.  Tried redownloading the drivers from Canon site and reinstalling.  When it comes to the box that says "select printer" the mf634cdw isn't in there to select (nor is any other printer, but there is no other in range).

4.  Have rebooted both mf634cdw and the PC several times in vaious order.

5.  Windows update says it is up to date and last checked 10 minutes ago.

Not sure what to do next.  (If the answer is to throw out machine, I would like to know sooner rather than later because I just bought $300 of genuine Canon toner, which I can still return for about another week!)

Any ideas?  (Note, I am no expert so I can follow instructions, but I need some pretty specific steps! Also, sometimes problems do fix themselves so I am a bit scared of making the problem worse...)

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Since I own 2 Canon laser printers, I am familiar with the various things you are describing.  Although I've not had issues with mine, I'm happy to try and help solve your problem(s).    I don't think you can make it any worse than not working 🤣.

Let's start.

I know the model and that you are using the printer with windows 11.

Tell me about your wireless network?  Single modem/router, mesh system?  The printer requires a 2.4Ghz wireless broadcast that supports WPA2 / AES encryption.  Please ensure your network meets these requirements.

Do you have any 3rd party antivirus software installed.  Something besides Windows Security (which is what comes with windows)?

Although optional, I strongly suggest assigning the printer a static IP on your network.  This is done on your router.  It only has to be done once (set and forget).  😃

Software and drivers.  You only need two applications.  

[Windows 64bit] MF634Cdw/MF632Cdw MFDrivers (Generic Plus UFR II / Generic FAX / ScanGear)

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwODU0MDAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

[Windows 32bit & 64bit] MF Scan Utility Ver.1.21.0.2

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNjg2NTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

If your printer doesn't appear here, you won't be able to do anything.  Especially Scan  😉

shadowsports_0-1722696736562.png

You'll probably need about 30 min to complete everything.  

Start by removing the printer from Start menu > Settings > Bluetooth & Devices > Printer and Scanners

Now Start menu > Settings > Control Panel > Programs and Features.  Uninstall any utilities, drivers, etc related to the printer.

Important step.  Restart your PC

Start by manually connecting the printer to your wireless network.  You can do this from the printers LCD.  Log in to your router and review the list of attached devices.  Note the IP the router has assigned to the printer.  Now assign or reserve this IP so the router does not assign it to another device (this is the one time step I mentioned earlier).  On the router, look for address reservation, static IP, etc.  Restart the printer, power off / on.  This ensures the IP reservation. 

Confirm the assignment.  Easy way.  Open a web browser and enter the IP address you reserved above.   Mine for example is 192.168.1.99

shadowsports_4-1716951959623.png 

Proceed with driver installation.  Run #1.  Note the first time it runs, you are prompted to allow it to make changes to the windows firewall.  You must allow this for communication.  Follow the prompts, I installed everything except FAX, but it doesn't hurt to have it.

The printer should be automatically detected.  If its not, you can specify its IP.  Once this completes, run #2.  This is the scanner driver.  The MF Scan Utility and/or ScanGear will not run or work until #2 is installed.

Now test everything.  Open the MF Scan Utility and ensure the printer appears in the drop down dialog I posted above.

shadowsports_1-1722697957229.png

From the Utility screen press the ScanGear button and ensure that application opens.  If so, you're done.  If you run into any snags, just reply and we'll work through those items.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements