cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF445dw asks to select Tray 1 each time I print from a device that isn't Windows

scottlindner
Contributor

Is there a way to configure this printer to printer from the only tray available by default? When I print from my phone I select Letter as the paper size and the printer has letter loaded in Tray 1 and it is configured as Letter in tray 1. Why doesn't it just print? Every time I print from a non-Windows device I have to walk to the printer to select the tray to print from and there is ironically only one option to select from on the printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi scottlindner.

Thank you for finding this issue.  Were you using the Canon Print Service, the MOPRIA Print Service, or the Default Print Service when printing from the phone?  You may need to disable the Default Print Service to prevent misprinting with either of the other options.

I look forward to your response.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Darius
Whiz

Hi scottlindner.

For printing on Mac OS, you may set the paper source options in the Printer's settings window, Options tab. 

https://oip.manual.canon/USRM2-5807-zz-DR-enUV/contents/dmu-dev_coop-opt_set-manual.html#mug_opt_set...

For mobile devices, you will need to refer to the print options in the app from which you're printing.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have done that on my Samsung S10e. In the print dialog I select Letter and it still prompts me on the printer to select the only option available which is Tray 1 which is letter. Here is a screenshot of my print screen on my phone and what it produced on my printer.

2020-04-01 06.17.08.jpg

2020-04-01 06.17.34.jpg

It won't print until the select the only option available which is Tray 1 LTR/Plain

OMG I just figured it out. It works if I change the paper weight to 18lbs even though the paper weight is 24lbs. Which is terrible because I'm pretty certain the printer is using the paper weight to alter the bonding termperate used when printing.

Is there a way to solve this so I can specify the proper paper weight in the printer settings such that Letter = Letter rather than this very limiting Letter != Letter situation?

Hi scottlindner.

Thank you for finding this issue.  Were you using the Canon Print Service, the MOPRIA Print Service, or the Default Print Service when printing from the phone?  You may need to disable the Default Print Service to prevent misprinting with either of the other options.

I look forward to your response.

I'm using Default Print Service. I just tried the Canon Print Service and changed the paper weight back to what it was and it printed fine from my phone although with a warning that it was sending it through your servers which is completely unecessary since I'm on the same LAN.

Thanks for the help. This solves my problem.

davidxie
Apprentice

On my Debian machine, my printer appeared by itself after connecting it to my local network. However, I experienced the same issue of having to walk to the printer and select the printer tray (even though there's only one) using the default printer settings. I fixed it by changing the "Media Type" from "Auto" to "Stationery" via my Debian system's "Printer Properties" for my MF445dw.

Announcements